diffrence b/w installing 98se to P1 & P4 systems

chankya

Dear all

Can any body know what is the setup diffrence occure when we install win98se to p1 machine and p4 machine

which type of performance configuration changed in .ini files or other files occure.

i am not asking about the vga sound driver etc.

but the windows setup files diffrence.

if some one knows please explain it or give any web link if knows.

thanks

Hi,

i have installed win98 on Pentium, win98se on P2,P3,P4 systems. No difference system files that i have notice other than speed due to the mhz difference, it's also able to read the name of CPU on older pentium system under systen properties rather than the IDs of newer CPU. Overall win98se still work with newer CPU.

For detailed infos, try www.mdgx.com

yup, sportster00 has got a point. No difference in setup between slower and faster PCs. Win98 SE works fine under both slow and fast computers. Are you doing a 'Custom' install or a Typical install of Win98se, chankya? The Typical, Portable, Compact and Custom install options are only available if doing a 'clean' installation of Win98se in pure MS-DOS mode.

If your install does not proceed properly on the P1 system, there're one or two command switches than can be used-- mentioned on MDGx site-- but i wouldn't waste your time searching a fix for this unlikely scenario beforehand-- try the install first.

It's afterwards that you should change some default & disabled settings on the P4 system-- most documented on MDGx site(hint: if you have Google Toolbar installed, search site option, which you need to enable first in the options, works for me):

Warning, do not apply any of these on P1 system, or you will totally trash your install & possibly peripherals too:

most of the following you can apply with X-Setup: enable UDMA, 64k max dma buffer, 32 bit disk access, 32-bit file access, asynchronous mode transfer...very important!! all these in conjunction with their counterpart optimized settings in Bios-)

I'd suggest the following tweaks, leave MDGx's for last, since it further increases some of the other ones beyond max.): UBD Tweaks 2.6, followed by all possible ones in: Cacheman 5.5

VERY IMPORTANT: if there's any chance whatsoever that you will be adding 2K/XP in the future, inside Cacheman change the cluster size to 4K NOW! I'd also disable this program from auto-running to conserve resources; and now apply MAX CACHE & SPEED reg tweaks: http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#MCS

The following two can be tweaked even beyond Super Duper Max:

Icon Cache Size:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]

Value Name: Max Cached Icons

Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)

Value Data: 100 - 4096 (default = 500) can be set to 8192

Optimize CD-ROM Performance: Set caches for 32X CDs (Maximum PC October 21, 2001 pg 26) http://www.pa-spaug.org/News02/UnScrewWin98Feb02.html

MY COMPUTER - CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM (displays System Properties) - PERFORMANCE (tab) - FILE SYSTEM ("File System Properties" appears) - CD-ROM (tab) - set "LARGE" and - set "OPTIMIZE" to maximum

REGEDIT/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\CDFS, Increase CacheSize from 619(26B)(hex) to 2476 (9AC), Increase BufferSize (Prefetch) from 228 (E4) to 1792 (700)

1. Right-click / edit OR double click "CacheSize". A "Edit DWORD Value" dialog box appears. In "Value data:" position, type: 9AC (replacing 26B).

2. Right-click / edit OR double click "Prefetch" (BufferSize), "Edit DWORD Value" dialog box appears. In "Value data:" position, type: 700 (replacing E4).

good luck...... have a speedy install.......