Any patched ME msconfigs around?

please me more clear on what you are trying to say, horsecharles.

There's no need to delete config.sys unless there's absolutely nothing in it.

The only 'patched' WinME msconfig is the one found in MS article 272719.

The Q272719 hotfix contains v4.90.3001 of msconfig.exe for WinME.

erpdude8: winme's msconfig that we now use in 98setome... : http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/win9x/...me_msconfig.zip interacts with regenv32.exe, both files included in above download.

Here's an MS paste--

Command Line Options for REGENV32.EXE in Windows Millennium Edition

Article ID : 265835

Last Review : September 28, 2004

Revision : 1.0

This article was previously published under Q265835

On this page

SUMMARY

MORE INFORMATION

SUMMARY

When you move environment variables into and out of the registry, you must use the Windows Millennium Edition (Me) application, Regenv32.exe. You can also use the application for troubleshooting environment variable problems.

MORE INFORMATION

Assuming Windows Me is installed on the C: partition, regenv32.exe -c4 runs every time that Msconfig.exe runs or when Windows is shut down.

The following are definitions of the environment variables discussed in the "Summary" portion of this article: • IMPORT: Discards environment settings currently in the registry and imports the environment settings specified in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files.

• EXPORT: Discards environment settings currently specified in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files and replaces them with the environment settings in the registry.

• SYNC: To perform an IMPORT operation followed by an EXPORT operation.

• RECONCILE: Reads the environment settings in the registry and the autoexec.bat, and Config.sys files. It compares the two and imports any differences discovered into the registry.

• DELETE: Deletes all environment settings in the registry.

The Syntax for Regenv32.exe is REGENV32 -dn where -d is the drive letter containing the registry, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files and -n is a number between 1 and 5 representing the action Regenv32.exe performs. The actions are as follows: 1. IMPORT Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files' environment settings into the registry.

2. EXPORT the registry's environment settings to the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

3. SYNCHRONIZE the registry environment with the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

4. RECONCILE the registry environment with the environment variables set in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

5. DELETE registry environment settings. This should be used with extreme care and only in a test environment.

It shouldn't be too difficult, esp for non-dolts, like me.... :P

erpdude8: winme's msconfig that we now use in 98setome... : http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/win9x/...me_msconfig.zip interacts with regenv32.exe, both files included in above download. 

Here's an MS paste--

Command Line Options for REGENV32.EXE in Windows Millennium Edition

Article ID : 265835

Last Review : September 28, 2004

Revision : 1.0

This article was previously published under Q265835

On this page

SUMMARY

MORE INFORMATION

SUMMARY

When you move environment variables into and out of the registry, you must use the Windows Millennium Edition (Me) application, Regenv32.exe. You can also use the application for troubleshooting environment variable problems.

MORE INFORMATION

Assuming Windows Me is installed on the C: partition, regenv32.exe -c4 runs every time that Msconfig.exe runs or when Windows is shut down.

The following are definitions of the environment variables discussed in the "Summary" portion of this article: • IMPORT: Discards environment settings currently in the registry and imports the environment settings specified in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files.

• EXPORT: Discards environment settings currently specified in the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files and replaces them with the environment settings in the registry.

• SYNC: To perform an IMPORT operation followed by an EXPORT operation.

• RECONCILE: Reads the environment settings in the registry and the autoexec.bat, and Config.sys files. It compares the two and imports any differences discovered into the registry.

• DELETE: Deletes all environment settings in the registry.

The Syntax for Regenv32.exe is REGENV32 -dn where -d is the drive letter containing the registry, Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files and -n is a number between 1 and 5 representing the action Regenv32.exe performs. The actions are as follows: 1. IMPORT Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files' environment settings into the registry.

2. EXPORT the registry's environment settings to the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

3. SYNCHRONIZE the registry environment with the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

4. RECONCILE the registry environment with the environment variables set in the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files.

5. DELETE registry environment settings. This should be used with extreme care and only in a test environment.

It shouldn't be too difficult, esp for non-dolts, like me.... :P

cool. But snakefoot forgot to include the msconfig.chm, msconfig.cnt and msconfig.hlp Help files in his zip file. OOPSIE! Msconfig will not work

properly if you try to access msconfig's help features without including

msconfig's help files.

Get Snakefoot to add the Msconfig help files in all his msconfig packages.

Ok, now I'm going offline for some time...

I rewroted REGENV32.EXE and now it never modifies config.sys NOR deletes useful stuff in autoexec.bat, only SET= ones. Note: requires VB6 runtime.

Also i modified msconfig.exe to delete bugged national page and instead System Restore it launches System File Checker.

But, because 98 doesn't launch REGENV32.EXE on shutdown, you have to do it yourself (i'm exploring which file in ME doing this). Run "REGENV32 -c2" (updates c:\autoexec.bat) if you changed something on enviroment page&want it to work.

updated: bugs fixed.

Msconfig_updated.zip