compressed file blues-help!

Vietfobster

ok when i said blues, i dont mean it like the sad kind. i mean literally!! LOL

theres some files on my computer that are blue color. theyre compressed. and i didnt choose to compress them!!!

my question is....how do i prevent files from being automatically compressed? i know i can rite click and choose to uncompress them, but i probably have like a gazillion compressed files!! there has to be a way to tell the computer "hey dont compress!!" i think its probably in administrator tools but i have no clue where lol.

so plzzz help.

first green....now this!! well this isnt as serious as green, but still!!! lol ;D

post-34-1107154127_thumb.jpg

You probably performed disk clean up with 'compress old files' checked. I don't find any problems with having compressed files on my HD... open fine without having to decompress. is there actually a downside?

yup there is a downside. it freaks me out and i could go crazy!!! lol

ok i ran disk cleanup with compress files unchecked, rechecked my blue files and theyre still blue!!! *shivers* *scared* lol

wont u get scared if u checked ur files one day and when u check them the next day, theyre a different color suddenly?? iwould have a heart attack!!! *ahhhh!!!* lol

Nois3, are you sure that is the question?

I'm asking because while such a tweak does exist, its useless since the above files are compressed long before you could apply the regtweak. The folder is rendered compressible through some shell command that only windows knows (or maybe "fsutil").

Anyways, the reg tweak you want can be found in the registry tweaks topic (in "unattended windows" forum).

THANKS!!

it said it wont compress any new files

but i checked the already-blue files and theyre still blue!!! i swear if i wasnt bald, i would rip my hair off!!! :angry:

for example, on my mirc folder, the versions.txt file is compressed along with mirc.hlp, mird.GID and readme.txt

after the cmd thing, i checked the mirc folder and its still blue!!!

>>is there a way to uncompress ALL the files on my hard drive (no, not do it manually. that would take 10 years lol)

>>how does this happen in the first place??

>>i would ask how to prevent this from happening again but dman solved that problem :)!!

thanks!! its uncompressing as im typing this...

one question though....how did this start in the first place. i know i didnt choose to compress it.....well maybe i choose to compress while i was sleepwalking lol just kidding

but seriously...does anyone know how it started?

....wow the uncompressing is taking a LONG time!

btw, does this prevent new files from compressing.....when i type in "compact /U /I /A /S:\" i dont see it mentioning that no new files will be compressed. although it DID say that on the other one, which was "compact /U /S /A /I c:\"

EDIT: i checked my mirc folder and theyre NOT blue anymore!!! theyre good ol BLACKENESE!!