How to ensure old Outlook2003 Calendar Items Stay?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I am running XP Pro & Office 2003 Pro. I have some older calendar items in my outlook. They seem to date back to February of 2004. I want to make sure that all those items stay put in my calendar. I know if I do a windows reinstall, I need to export all my calendar items & import them into the reinstalled program.

My question is how do I make sure that Outlook keeps all my old appointments. I would like to be able to track the next 10 or so years of my appointments for my business.

I want to make sure there is no setting in Outlook 2003 that would get rid of old appointments.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi there,

This should really be under the Software discussion forum, but a moderator can move it if they please.

As for your Outlook, all of your e-mails, contacts, and calendar items are stored in a single file. Simply copy the Outlook file itself to a CD or another media before you reformat.

The default location for this file is

C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

You can either paste that directory into a run box or enable the viewing of hidden files and browse your way there. Once you're at that directory, you will find a file named Outlook.pst. Simply copy this file for now to a CD (or something else, USB key for example).

Reformat and reinstall Office 2003.

When you're done, run Outlook and go through the process of setting up your e-mail accounts. Close Outlook and go to the above directory and delete the new Outlook.pst file and replace it with your old one. You should be good to go from here! If Outlook complains about it being a new file, simply point it in the direction of your old file and go on from there.

I currently keep my Outlook files on a separate partition and I follow the above steps whenever I reformat my computer. I've kept the same contacts and calendar for about a year now.

Hope this helps!

also if you have AutoArchive turned on, make sure that you copy the pst file named archive.pst. It will have all your old appoints that got moved from your main pst if you Archived them. To see or disable the auto Archive tool, Launch outlook and go to Tools Optins and then go to the Other Tab and then click on the AutoArchive

• 3 weeks later...