Are you going to upgrade to 64bit WinXP

jpatto

XP Home will never be considered for x64. Why? Think of the workstation market. You have a design shop using Pro Engineering on their workstations... and they are going to use XP Home??? That is not the market for x64.

I'm running XP Pro x64 RC2 and it is running circles around 32 bit XP Pro.

VitoCorelone took the words right out of my mouth. And besides Pro only puts things in which very few people IMHO use. I could be completely wrong of course, but I think that leaving XP Home users out from upgrading to XP Home 64 bit would be a bad idea on the part of M$. Its not that we dont want to upgrade, we dont want Pro...with its added kludge...and not a lot of people know about nLite.

Seriously folks... just how many of you XP Home users are currently using Pro Engineering? Some of the Pro E apps start @ $20K per app. You are going to install those apps on XP Home? Now that is funny...

You can poo poo all the XP Pro features you don't like but it is the bread and butter of the business world. Workstations will remain in that world only because people actually get things done on them...

Marsden what you dont seem to get is there are a lot of people who are not installing pro 20k apps. That does not mean they should not be given the chance to choose 2 flavors of the 64 bit OS. I dont use mission critical apps and nor do I intend to on my home machine. If I want mission critical I will get Linux. If I want ease of use, and gaming, and something I am used to completely, i will use XP Home. Not Pro because I do not have a need for Pro. All I am saying is that MS should release a 64 bit Home Edition as well. I am sure there is a market for it. Like gamers for example.

I don't recall gamers on the top of the Microsoft jinga tower of users with seriuos needs and serious systems.

You can all speak of your wishes but the reality is there will be only a single SKU for XP Pro x64. Don't care for that reality, then just hold your breath until MS caves in...

So the reality is this... if you are a gamer and want a 64bit MS operating system, then your choice and only choice from MS is XP Pro x64...

I'd like a flat planet but unfortunately it is round and I think it will stay that way for some time to come...

Haha Marsden you are kidding right? There are users with serious needs and serious systems who are gamers...hmm EVERYWHERE!! Why do you think there are all these hardware innovations? Faster CPUs, faster memory and faster GPUs...for us gamers. Not for workstation users. THey come lower in the food chain. This is the enthusiast market. Sure MS may not come out with a 64 bit Home version, no biggie I will use the Pro. All I was saying is choice is good. Chill Marsden. Dont take it so personally.

im not going to be upgrading till 1-2 yrs ........ simply coz we dont have enuff compatible applications running on a 64bit OS......

majority (all?) applications still come in 32 bit versions.....