Are you going to upgrade to 64bit WinXP

jpatto

well i dunno if i'll have any advantages over 32bit for now, i mean it might be a good thing for servers etc. but at least for nowadays i don't think anyone will benefit from switching to 64bit.

maybe during summer or i dunno maybe wait for longhorn :P

I'll have my new 64bit system setup in the next few weeks, and have already the iso file of the winxp64 beta waiting to be burnt on my hd (got it last week from microsoft), so I'll test it soon; and if it works as good as the "plain" one.... I'll switch to it.

But.. will all the unattended stuff of this forum/site work on it? Probably not :(

programs that will run on 64 bit will work the same way.

I did an unattended install, office loaded but I didn't run it.

Zonealarm does NOT work

Norton does NOT work

Adaware installed, but I didn't test it.

Winzip installed but I didn't test it

Adobe reader installed but I didn't test it.

The autologin I've been using worked

I even used the regtweaks but didn't thoroughly check those all out

But like I said, driver support sucks, so it's definitely not ready for regular use

Norton cannot work as it installs system services and drivers written only for win32...... probably they are going to update them onl official launch Symantec is making money from nortons name and they definetly will follow using this "gold mine".

But what about nlite, xpcreate, maxxpsoftunattendedc., an xpize, flyakiteosx etc.? all the hard work of people in this forum, they all need to be updated, for sure many of them. :(

I'm running an a64 3500+, and I gave the xp 64-bit beta a shot (last version before RC1), and then shot it. Many 32-bit programs don't work (netzero, msvc++, zonealarm, after that I gave up), and it really needs to have some sort of "legacy" 32-bit driver support, I wound up having to dig out my old external serial modem just to find one that windows could support, because there are no 64-bit drivers out except from nvidia. So, I'm now back to 32-bit xp, and very happy, tis much faster than my xp 1800+ :mrgreen: I suppose once it's finally released, I'll probably give it another shot, but even then, I'll be dual-booting until I've made my final choice.

• 3 weeks later...
I am kind of confused there what do you mean you can upgrde for free? You cant be serious when you say that Bill is giving out free upgrades?!?! What is going on? :o

I'll upgrade for sure if it's free, but I'm confused too.

Is this upgrade for everyone that has 32bit Xp.

Or is it like when XP was released? If you bought a computer

from Dell for instance with 98 installed. it came with a

certificate for a free upgrade to XP.