Are you going to upgrade to 64bit WinXP

jpatto

Were having a huge debate at work about whether we should upgrade to Win XP 64 bit. I know theres not a lot of applications avaiable at the moment but wanted to know what you guys will be doing when its released in June/ July

Thanks

We need to upgrade, but our plan is to just get regular athlons @28/30 depending on price point.

Personally i'd have no problem vainly sampling longhorn and athlon xp-- but the price difference multiplied by the number of systems makes no sense-- even worse when you factor the considerations of how long before the OS is in stable form & when apps will exist to take advantage of it: likely about the time when we're ready to update the coming update.

Depends too on your type of business: if you can't afford downtime, & you mostly run office-type software, then don't go 64bit yet, discounting any os glitches, you'll anyhow gain little performance-wise.

Even IF your type of business or department stands to benefit the most performace-wise because it deals with cad design / multimedia editing & related-- already you'll be paying up the kazoo for all the new hardware taking advantage of pci express: the faster graphics cards & hard drives. Though if your budget can stand it-- if just one project price can buy dozens of computers... but you'll likely still need plenty of present-day fall-back systems just in case....

We don't mind so much paying extra for the privilege of being human guinea pigs, it's just that we can't afford any downtime at all.

All the best to you regardless of which decision you make.

i'll surely switch, as soon as intel 64bit cpu will be available. It's what i'm waiting for right now coz i need to bay a new computer :D But if i were to decide for my company i would wait a while, for most of the progarms to update and not be a guinea pig as horsecharles said.

yeah, maybe once driver support is better

try finding audio drivers for 64bit  :realmad:

They probalby won't release the 64bit edition untill proper (and most common) Drivers are integrated.

btw. A new beta version is released, RC1!

You can go to the microsoft website and try it!

I'll have my new 64bit system setup in the next few weeks, and have already the iso file of the winxp64 beta waiting to be burnt on my hd (got it last week from microsoft), so I'll test it soon; and if it works as good as the "plain" one.... I'll switch to it.

But.. will all the unattended stuff of this forum/site work on it? Probably not :(