Motherboard Changing workaround, Any help?

Thaer

Look for "mergeide.reg" at Google. B)

You can save it as mergeide.reg and insert it onto the register before making the mobo change. There are a few files that you have to copy to WINNT\System32\Drivers also.

It's a small register tweak and some files that I always carry in a floppy disk, together with my maintenance tools. :yes:

Of course it's useless if you don't do the steps mentioned above before changing the mobo... :blushing:

Best regards, and good luck !

--ThundernetBR

what i would do is make a partition and put all the stuff you wanna save there and format your main partition then grab the stuff you saved from that partition and delete it after you've got everything out of it.saving your stuff and formating would be the best thing to do but what i'd do is remove all your drivers then shutdown the pc then repair xp then install your new drivers,use driver cleaner pro 1.0 for your video card drivers(run it in safe mode)

I would try using Norton Ghost and make a ghost image of your current installation. Swap MoBo then restore the image. Boot the system. It will go through a bunch of new hardware found wizards and then everything should be fine. B)

It's not that easy, just copy WinXP using Ghost. I lost about one week in the process when I faced the problem for the 1st time. :wacko:

Even using Ghost you'll have to make the copy of the files I mentioned above and also install "mergeide.reg" onto the register *before* making the cloning. ;)

As I said before, it's essential to copy the 4 or 5 files and register them, because if you don't, you'll have the same problem that everybody: you'll stop in the initial "Welcome" message. :whistle:

Best regards,

--ThundernetBR

The only thing thats really going to stop you from a repair install is deleting the IDE controllers and chanels in devive manager. You delete those, shut down windows, install the new mobo, then boot into windows normally. Windows boot process is linked to the IDE Drivers, and will bluescreen if the chipset is different than the driver it tries to load for it, but if your new motherbaord and old motherboard are both using the same chipset (Via, Sis, Intel, nVidia) than you dont have to take these steps.

This is very unusual... I remember I just switched a hard drive from one computer to another (with XP on it) with completely different hardware and all it did was just reinstall all the necessary drivers... I didn't have to do anything else... :wacko: