How to modify a driver inf ?

midiboy

Hi !

Maybe someone can help me with this ...

I have a NIC, a Surecom model based on the Realtek 8139 chip. Installing the latest Realtek drivers works fine, I am sure of that, however the Surecom model does not appear in the drivers inf file so I have to force Windows to take this driver and acknowledge quite a few warnings doing so.

I would like to add the driver to my unattended installation but obviously, Windows will not use that driver for my NIC. Is there any way I can make Windows take that driver ?

Obviously I will have to adapt the inf file somehow. I even tried this before, I placed the Hardware ID of my card in a few places inside the inf but it did not change much. I probably did not do it the right way. Also there are quite a few ID`s available to choose from in the cards properties. Hardware ID´s, compatible ID´s and a few others. I don´t really know which one to choose.

I have attached the Realtek drivers inf file to this post and the ID`s of my card are as follows:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_032010BD&REV_10\4&2E98101C&0&50F0

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_032010BD&REV_10

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&SUBSYS_032010BD

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&CC_0200

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139&REV_10

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8139

PCI\VEN_10EC&CC_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&CC_0200

PCI\VEN_10EC

PCI\CC_020000

PCI\CC_0200

pci\ven_10ec&dev_8139&subsys_813910ec&rev_10

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !

:)

Bye,

Alex

Hi ACEOFNOS!

Thanks for your help ! Well I tried your file but it behaves similar to a modified inf I tried some time ago. If I try to update the driver choosing the option shown in the pic, Windows will tell me that it cannot find a matching driver at that location. I have to choose the option " Don´t search, choose the driver myself" in order to install the new driver.

This however will not work during unattended installation. Windows would not use the driver in that case.

Thanks,

Alex