Windows 98SE Version Changer

Tihiy

http://simplestas.nm.ru/w98hack

This tool hacks win98se registry/system files to make any app checking windows version install & run. Must work on any language.

To check if tool worked propertly, run dxdiag.exe (DirectX7 and above) and check "Operating system:" line.

Updated: works with Unofficial SP2.

Edited by Tihiy

Thank you, Tihiy... How timely.... i was thinking about the usb2 problem in win98, and of the registry hack used in winxp that changes version reported-- used to install older hardware that only has win2k drivers, in winxp... and of possibly getting office2003 & the latest adobe installed in win98... hhhhmmmm........

Waiting for you to test it  :whistle:

It dosen't work :no:

After changing it to xp pro mode i restarted & tried to install acrobat reader 7 & office 2003 which promptly said that i was using an unsupported OS.

As far as i am concerned this utility is useless :realmad:

You are too naive. I hope about 5% of unsupported on 9x programs will run with this tool, and it is more than 0%.

WMP10,Office2k3,Acrobat7 and other programs can't run on 98/Me not because they aren't supposed to, but because thay CAN'T.

You are too naive. I hope about 5% of unsupported on 9x programs will run with this tool, and it is more than 0%.

WMP10,Office2k3,Acrobat7 and other programs can't run on 98/Me not because they aren't supposed to, but because thay CAN'T.

You see the reason why i ran these appz is to see how it detects the OS during setup. The setup quit there itself without continuing with the rest of the installation as it found that i am running an unsupported OS.

Hope that clears your concern. B)

There are many official methods to check Windows platform id (9x or NT) and undocumented too. Office 2003 & other apps can check some undocumented functions. This tool hacks only official checking method, so...

But, if "Viewer" versions of Office 2k3 programs can run on Windows 98, i think whole Office can. I'll explore this problem.

Office2k3 has in the root of the install cd,  i believe setup.ini with a line like: min version check windows2k sp4 sic...

But i don't think it's as simple as that---

also, as i've said before, standalone Publisher 2003 installed seamlessly for me.....

...can someone describe the functinality which win 98 didn't offer to support office 2k3 ?

beats me, shaddam!!!

btw i noticed the office23K disc comes with the 2k sp4 update-- maybe that's a clue...

MS is again shipping to anyone requesting, a 360 day trial of the Pro version-- standard & most of its standalone components, can be freely downloaded: i suggest everyone take them up on it: http://www.microsoft.com/office/trial/default.mspx