98se life cycle?

some ppl can't afford to goto xp...

amen to that,

i just checked dabs (one of the best online suppliers in uk)

and XP Home Edition with SP2 is £164.50

(thats about $383 canadian or $305 US)

i don't have a lot of money :blushing:

my 98SE OEM cost me £60 with a £5 mouse :P

all other software is free

(except the few games i've bought or been given)

98SE will do me for a while yet...

i'll skip 32 bit and go straight to 64

when intel and microsoft produce the right products

this way i can save up and go straight to PCI-E etc

Go to a Fry's Electronics, or a Small Computer Owned Store, they always have OEM versions available for $89.99-Home, and 149.99-Pro.

and you need to also

buy a $1 cable to comply w/ the OEM terms.....

or anything that is considered an internal computer accessory - I think mouse pads and a few others also qualify, just depends who you are buying from:)

:whistle: hey i like 98se i like xp as well just wondering why people who switch to xp bash 98se .sure its not up to par but it works and the reason i heard from 98 users is the cost so they stay and nobody but power users want to lose their data from years of surfing migrating 2 xp .i guess a dualboot part of the answer but if i was running longhorn i still would say 98se aint all that bad

:whistle: hey i like 98se i like xp as well just wondering why people who switch to xp bash 98se .sure its not up to par but it works and the reason i heard from 98 users is the cost so they stay and nobody but power users want to lose their data from years of surfing migrating 2 xp .i guess a dualboot part of the answer but if i was running longhorn i still would say 98se aint all that bad

Who's bashing? I like both as well, and both have Pros and Cons. It is up to the user & what they use it for that makes up for the difference... IMHO B)

~~~~~~

whistling.gif

~~~~~~

WARNING: The following Opinion may be contagious. ;)

If you put aside the cost of Windows XP, the Hardware that is recommended for it, and many other cost, you can convert/transfer your existing Files/data over to the new OS install. Of course you will need to Re-install EVERYTHING all over again, update your drivers, update most programs, Games will also need to be re-installed/patched, OS updated, OS tune-up, OS re-configured, etc... That’s only 1-2 hours for most people. Other People may take 1-3+ days - Depending on many factors of course; Speed of computer/user, Experience, Internet Connection, Number of updates, Number of Programs/Games, Number of User Accounts, # of computers to install on, many others etc...

Really that’s the easy part. :w00t:

The hard part really is when an '8 year' Windows 98 only User has only seen/used Win 95/98/ME, and then has to (re-)learn how to use Windows (XP) all over again! And make everything work together... (Compatibly Issues) tongue.gif

laladaddo... hhmmmm.... (Twirling thumbs)

NOTE: The above comments are not my fault, I was born stupid. laugh.gif

Is this thing on? Wheres the Edit fuction...

OK Guys.. Calm Down I see everyones getting crazy about this product activation...

put plain and simple...

WinXp Pro Sp1, Sp1a, Sp2, needs no activation... if its corp.. the serial key activates it...

As Far as Home Xp? well there is an activation Crack.. and a serial Key that works...

I install home edition on computers all the time.. it runs flawless...

even with sp2....

Now as Far as Our Good Ole Friend Windows 98Se?

well why don't we just en all this stuff and someone go to microsoft, and immediatly after installing 98se..

Download all the Security Patches and Updates for the operating system along with the bundled IE browser updates... I mean I talking get the entire updates... let it scan... see what it needs, and is avaiable.. let t download... you know it goes into a windows update folder on C:?

why not Zip it up.. someone get some server space and put this thing up for download..? its a good idea.. that way everyone can stop the hassle of the support issue for 98...

no its ture they arent creating anymore updates, but they are supporting it until 2006? why not get the whole update bundle and put it up? everything else has a link to it here.. and since some peopel arent sure how to do it.. and don't feel like doing it.. why not put it in a huge Pack somewhere for download? its easy.. think about it guys...

yeah i know.. I had to run my mouth.. but.. ehhh.. don't we ALL!

Later Guys!

Cybri

some ppl don't like to do it your way then some do it your way,sides bud sum ppl can't afford a hardware upgrade just for xp

98 runs on crap hardware,xp not really

or sum ppl just like 98,others like xp

i personaly use xp sp1 corp as sp2 has caused a few problems(i won't upgrade to sp2 as sp1 does what i need to sides it don't mess up)