98se life cycle?

erpdude8 you are 100% incorrect about service pack 2

it can be installed under xp by slipstreaming it and windows media player 10 can be installed under windows xp sp1 &sp2

stick to 98 or 2000 if you don't want xp's activation

the corp editions don't need activation.

thanks for the correction, soldier1st. you can install WMP 10 even under the

original release of XP.

sorry, Blam-O! 'XP KeY ReCoVeRER AND DiSCOVErER 5.12' doesn't work for XP home ed. you can't turn 'xp home' into xp corporate with that. tried that and doesn't work at all. xp professional ok with that tool but not for xp home edition.

Tested that tool on another pc as a 'test machine' with xp home and it failed.

Anyway I also use XP Home Edition on only ONE PC which is my bro's custom-designed PC.

The other PCs I have aren't quite powerful enough to handle XP. My HP computer

came with pre-installed WinME and ME runs good. The PC I used as a 'test machine' I put Win98se on there after removing XP because it was too slow.

i think you can install wmp 10 under windows server 2003. ask mdgx about that.

MS will include a 'bug fixed' and updated version of WMP 10 in Win2003 SP1 and

maybe WinXP SP3. i don't need wmp10 because i don't use devices that

specifically use the features of wmp10. So I'll stick with WMP9.

As I said before, Win98 & ME will last beyond its extended support date. If you

properly maintain your PCs using Win98/ME by running Scandisk and Defrag

periodically and cleaning the inside of your PC by blowing away the dust & dirt

that build up inside your PCs when using them for a long time, your PCs will last

for a very long time.

I can see giving up our present systems-- because they just won't cope, in about 2-3 years-- by then the next upgrade of initial Pci Express is in use along with addressable memory in beaucoup gigabytes(say in the teens as a median to high amount in use), next generations of 64bit chips, broadband as high as 25-50mb w/ under 10 considered subpar....

sorry, Blam-O! 'XP KeY ReCoVeRER AND DiSCOVErER 5.12' doesn't work for XP home ed. you can't turn 'xp home' into xp corporate with that. tried that and doesn't work at all. xp professional ok with that tool but not for xp home edition.

Tested that tool on another pc as a 'test machine' with xp home and it failed.

OK - Sorry, my fault. Let me clarify that a little more...

The 'XP KeY ReCoVeRER AND DiSCOVErER 5.12' will find you a Working Product Key – for that Computer; sometimes that same CD Key will also work on other Machines). I never said that it would Upgrade the Home Edition to the Pro Corp Edition, or even the Corp Edition. But what I’m saying is that the Key maker will find you a non-valid, But Working Product Key. You can however Copy over the file, “wpa.dbl”, found in the “X:\WINDOWS\system32” dir. As long as it was successfully Activated/Installed…

Even the Corp Edition has a wpa.dbl file, but never has to be activated. By copying the WPA file after you Activate Windows, you will never have to Activate it again! As long as it is the SAME Identical Machine, since the WPA keeps track of the Serial Numbers – and the file is encrypted:)

Now I read somewhere where you can download a “Crack” that will allow a non Corp version of windows to be Cracked/Upgraded to a Corp version. I do not see this as a real Crack, for all it must do is kill the Activation Nag. A Corp Edition has other pieces that a simple Crack could not imitate. But simply that all I was saying is that you can generate a Key to install Windows on, and bypass the Activation part if needed. Using this method will allow you to update Windows with Microsoft updates and software; SP2, WMP 10…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to Topic. Yes I still love Windows 98SE for many reasons: here are some…

* Will work on a crapy Computer; 64MB of Ram, Pentium 1 233MHZ, 1GB of hard drive will fit Windows and Programs:)

* Some games play faster…

* Almost anything is compatible with Win 98SE…

* There is lots of Critical Updates to help protect your computer while online…

* No Activation!

* Everyone is familiar with Win 98SE… Makes it easier for people to use…

* Almost any OS can read a FAT32 Hard Drive…

Here are some things I hate about Win 98E…

* Microsoft no longer supports it…

* Almost No one sells Windows 98SE anymore…

* Windows 98SE is really old…

* There is too many **** Updates to install…

* Everyone is familiar with it… Makes it easier for hackers…

* Windows 98SE is not very stable when compared to a NTFS platform…

* Not all programs will work with it… Or you loose some functionally of a Said Program…

* Windows 98SE has More BSOD’s then 25 IT Professional Computer Technicians could handle in a day…

* Windows 98SE is somewhat annoying…

* In order to use large Hard Drives or lots of Memory you need to Tweak it…

* Windows 98SE has hardly any features when compared to today’s…

* Win 98SE requires too much Maintenance...

* Very little Driver Support...

* FAT32 is more prone to failure… No security…

I’m done… :P

Look. Blam-O! DIFFERENT Editions of Windows XP uses DIFFERENT algorithms

to determine which cdkeys are valid and which are not valid. Examples: cd-keys from a Pro edition of WinXP are NOT valid for home edition of XP and corp cd-keys are NOT valid for XP home. Also, cd-keys from 'retail' boxed editions of xp are also invalid for OEM pre-installed xp editions. It was that way with Win98, 2000 & Millennium. Get over it. Your recent comments didn't work for me and didn't work for some users. Even if ''XP KeY ReCoVeRER AND DiSCOVErER' did find a 'valid' key for XP home or XP pro it still didn't get rid of activation on those editions of xp.

Did several tests with them and still failed.

I'm not going to go any further on xp activation. I AM THROUGH! Any further or future comments on xp activation will be just be taking up space on this forum page.

Back to the lifecycle of 98se--

partial quote from Blam-O:

-----

Here are some things I hate about Win 98E…

* Microsoft no longer supports it…

* Windows 98SE is somewhat annoying…

* Very little Driver Support...

-----

WRONG! MS still supports Win98se 'til June 30, 2006. You obviously didn't read some online articles that MS extended support for Win98 & ME or perhaps MS didn't make it known to you, Blam-O, that MS announced an extension. See this Microsoft support page:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean1

Even though MS is now only making few & newer security patches for W98/ME they're STILL supporting them. Very little driver support you say? WRONG AGAIN in terms of supporting more older devices. If you said little driver support for 'newer' devices you might be right. W98SE Annoying? YEAH RIGHT!

tim_horton, soldier1st, does Win98se seem annoying to you guys? I don't. I find ways to make Win98se work close to the way I want it and I encounter less 'blue screen' errors. Maybe it's because I do a good job keeping my old Win98se machine in tip-top shape.

We should be glad Microsoft did the right thing in extending support of Win98, 98se and WinME. It would have been a 'kick in the stomach' if MS did end support on 1-16-04 and not tell many Win98 users worldwide that Win98 support was ending.

Read this MS support page on why MS extended support for Win98 & ME:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifewinextndfaq

erpdude8, Dude you serisly need to chill out! :P

I never said that it would activate ANY version of windows... and 'XP KeY ReCoVeRER AND DiSCOVErER 5.12' it DOES work, you don't know how to use it, or don't have the real version. There are also other tools needed if you want to activate windows - as I said, (Next time read the whole post). If theses tricks didn't work, than why does everyone use it??? :lol: LOL...

My fault on Microsoft, They still support it, I forgot they had extended it. :blushing:

And to clarify on little driver support still stands true if using newer hardware.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, just wanted to point something out - share Knowledge, not fight about it.

Peace out erpdude8 and best wishes. B)

:rolleyes: easy big fella .all can always get drivers somewhere on the net and the sp2b3 and mgdx 98setome etc etc are a good start.its a given the older the os the harder the search 4 drivers there out there driversguide.com a good place 2 start or inquire in forum proper catorogy plz.hey hail 98se its still fun tweaking this puppy its a grat tool in learning batch and inf codes etc ived learn o much disecting 98se that when im sure what im doing ill try tweaking xp. i run a dual boot xpprosp2/98se but most time im on 98se cause i generally surf and try out the stuff u guys make for 98se i thank all the contributers u know who u are and if i mess up 98se only takes 15 mins to reinstall anyway. my only wish is to get a batch file like batch 98 with the inf adding explorer 6 dx 9 for unttented 98se cd.keep on talking its all good..

if i mess up 98se only takes 15 mins to reinstall

:w00t: Thank God for that! One more good reason towards Windows98SE.

Although; if using 1GB of Dual Channel mem, 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Disk, and a flying Fast Processor with a fully Supproted MB - you can install XP in less than 12 min. :P

B) if u need more than 512 ram than why run 98 .if u got a boat load of ram best save it for xp your need it there. granted u may require alot to play games etc.but i suspect the average 98se user just surfs check email general things.time 4 coffee.l8ter

lol i hate my keyboard it should be cut not cute  :w00t:  :P

IthinkIneedanewkeyboard!spacebardoesn'twork :realmad::lol:

I figure this'll tide us over until about 2 years into Longhorn release.......

Lets hope that Micro$oft can deliver codename Longhorn without any more delays... ROFL, LOL!! biggrin.gifrealmad.giflaugh.gif