Tweaks I want to make (but can't seem to find how)

This began as a thread in the nLite forum where I was making a suggestion about tweaks I would like to see enabled. Well, it appears that some of these are considered "User tweaks" rather than "General tweaks". To me they aren't all that "user-tweakish", but I suppose it's a matter of opinion.

Anyway, I've searched over and over and can't find info on how to do these. The MSFN forum search is pretty useless, sadly. So I thought I would post here and ask if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

WINDOWS XP/2003:

1. Disable the fade effects located in Display Properties-->Appearance--Effects (This as a DEFAULT. This is NOT intended as being a user-specific tweak, I don't want my users having a choice in this.

2. Enable "Show Icon in Notification Area when Connected" by Default. (This as a default setting. It's important and useful for admins when talking to users on the phone to have a quick way to see if the user's network connection is down or not.)

3. Set Start Menu property defaults via nLite:

a) Small/Large icons

cool.gif # of icons in Most Recent Used programs list

c) Disable/Enable My Pictures

d) Disable/Enable My Music

e) Disable/Enable My Documents

f) Disable/Enable My Recent Documents

g) Disable/Enable My Network Places

If the subitems of #3 are considered "User Specific tweaks" I can understand that, but where would one find the info on how to set these as defaults in your Windows XP installation?

4. Specify the MenuShowDelay value in increments of 100 (seems the only relevant value scale to me; I use 100) (This as a SYSTEM default, and it is NOT a user specific tweak. I don't want my users having a choice in this, period.)

5. Enable Taskbar Media Player menu by default (User specific tweak, A-OK!)

6. Specify Default User Profile properties to reflect the above tweaks (I see this as a SYSTEM tweak, not as a user specific tweak.)

WINDOWS 2003 SERVER:

1. Remove Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (Component Removal)

2. Disable Manage Your Server default popup (System Tweak)

3. Enable Remote Administration by default (System Tweak)

Those are the biggies I can think about right now. I will update this posting if more come to mind! :)

have you even searched yet?

did you download hte massive REGTWEAKS file and see if something in there is want you want?

Yes, I searched for over a week before deciding to post. I have found and am using the regtweaks.reg file, but it doesn't cover any of the above scenarios. In addition, searching is less than productive here sometimes because:

1. The search function sucks so bad it's nearly useless

2. People don't always use any consistent terminology or phrasing when discussing specific tweaks.

I appreciate your concern and hope to learn some good info!

Jason

1. The search function sucks so bad it's nearly useless

Only for those that don't know how to search, and be specific while at the same time general. Using the " + - and such also improve results.

On the contrary I know plenty about searching. The search engine simply isn't all that great at integrating into these forums. Forums such as phpBB have vastly superior search systems.

Regardless of that, though, I didn't come here looking for a p***ing match, I came in hoping to find out from some of MSFN's knowledgeable and experienced members if I can accomplish the tasks I am hoping to. I would hope that a moderator, of all people, would set an example and lean toward constructive assistance rather than being confrontational. I look forward to anything constructive you might have to offer! :)

Thanks,

Jason

umm....

Alanoll is the one who contributes the most! But when the search feature is not understood by some, it does lead to questions since what was posted above has been discussed for over a year. :P

Anyways, try the regtweaks thread and you'll find all of the XP/2003 tweaks. For the Svr2k3 ones mentioned, those are winnt.sif settings.

Good luck for your goal!

umm....

Alanoll is the one who contributes the most!  But when the search feature is not understood by some, it does lead to questions since what was posted above has been discussed for over a year. :P

Anyways,  try the regtweaks thread and you'll find all of the XP/2003 tweaks. For the Svr2k3 ones mentioned, those are winnt.sif settings.

Good luck for your goal!

Oh I'm not contesting Alanoll's contribution, I am sure he's awesome from some of the posts I've read! :) I did read the regtweaks though, and I have integrated the regtweaks.reg file into my unattended install but it still doesn't cover the areas I've listed (otherwise I wouldn't list them) :) I will review the MS website for parameters on 2003's winnt.sif; I didn't think about removing components via that method (silly, given that my previous-to-nLite version of 2000 used precisely that method to remove a lot of inane components.)

Anyway, I'm still hoping for some more info! Thanks!

Jason

I also have either found these in the forum (or ran REGSHOT).

However, I have found a few tweaks that do not work:

;Disable Manage Server Roles screen
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome]
"srvwiz"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome]

I ran this during unattended and post install and the **** wizard still pops up!

---

;Remove "Shortcut to" in new shortcuts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
"Link"=hex:00,00,00,00

This never works either. anyone??

---

@JasonGW

Try using HKU\.DEFAULT path to make it apply to "All Users" - note that some HKCU keys are not always applicable here.

I also have either found these in the forum (or ran REGSHOT).

However, I have found a few tweaks that do not work:

;Disable Manage Server Roles screen
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\Welcome]

I ran this during unattended and post install and the **** wizard still pops up!

---

;Remove "Shortcut to" in new shortcuts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
"Link"=hex:00,00,00,00

This never works either. anyone??

---

@JasonGW

Try using HKU\.DEFAULT path to make it apply to "All Users" - note that some HKCU keys are not always applicable here.

Glad I'm not the only one missing things, LOL :) What is RegShot?

Jason

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. :P

link to regshot registry monitoring - Read usage instructions and description there.

Also, you aren't the only one missing something. There have been things things I wanted to do since six months, and then suddenly one day discover how it can be done. So keep on at it, it will pay off!

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. :P

link to regshot registry monitoring - Read usage instructions and description there.

Also, you aren't the only one missing something. There have been things things I wanted to do since six months, and then suddenly one day discover how it can be done. So keep on at it, it will pay off!

Thanks :) I'll read over this crazy thing right away. It would be nice if we could make a slick little program to integrate these changes right into the install source of the WinXP CD. nLite does a great job with some of this already and would seem a likely place to implement these customizations, but it might, from the sounds of other board members, be outside the range of nLite's scope. Although I have to say, Nuhi has added a LOT of tweaks already, so maybe hope isn't lost after all :)

Jason