Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.0 beta 3

DanyBoss

@cozetti

2.0 (BETA 3) has lots of new hot-fixes. Maybe some of them are not compatible with Spanish version.

What is your installation order?

Win98 -> SP2.0B3 -> Shell Swap?

I think, Win98 -> Shell Swap -> SP 2.0B3 should be better.

Gape: ALL version of your SP (since 1.5) worked fine with my spanish version of 98se.

The problem seems to be with the 98lite using the shell swap.

I' ll try the shell swap b4 installing the SP.

btw, which tweaks are for ¨64mb ram minimun¨?

Thanks for your reply

the MAX CACHE SPEED tweak:

Another Windows 95/98/ME limitation squashed! 1 down, 1 zillion to go... Ouch! ;)

Forget what I told you about setting your Windows 9x/ME File System cache to "Network Server", detailed in "NETWORK SERVER", also in REGISTRY.TXT [part of W95-11D.EXE]. Those are only the maximum ALLOWED values from: Control Panel -> (double)-click System applet -> Performance tab -> File System button -> Hard Disk tab -> "Typical role of this computer" box -> "Network Server", and respectively "Read-ahead optimization" slider -> Full -> click OK twice -> reboot. This setting (highest available) allocates about 40 KB of RAM to cache the last 64 accessed directory paths and the last 2729 accessed files.

But you can further increase these settings BEYOND the Win9x/ME GUI limit, to the next level, otherwise unavailable from the System applet, to have your computer cache up to 3 (THREE) times more files and directories, and speed up hard disk performance substantially.

The only disadvantage is that this way Windows will allocate up to 3 times more physical RAM to the file cache, which is taken from the available memory pool, normally used by applications/games. Therefore I recommend doing this ONLY IF your system has at least 32 MB of installed RAM. This works best on computers with 64 MB and up... and who cares about RAM "shortage" if you happen to have 128 MB or more? :-)

Gape, while I was looking for some Dutch patches, I noticed you included patches for Windows WebTV.

Please note Windows WebTV is not included with localized Windows 98SE versions!

I'm going to remove it from the Dutch pack, ok?

The files:

annclist.exe

ENHTRIG.DLL

NABTSFEC.SYS

Gape, While I was looking for some Dutch patches, I noticed you included patches for Windows WebTV.

Please note Windows WebTV is not included with localized Windows 98SE versions!

Gonna remove it from the Dutch pack, ok?

OK. You're right.