speeding up 98se with no more than 32mb ram

cozetti

i've installed 98lite v4.7 + w98sesp v1.5 on win98se+ie55sp2 with OK performance.

then i needed upgrade to ie6sp1, and with a few open windows (less with flash content) the machine (laptop, 300mhz, 2mb vga) crawls.

i cannot upgrade the hardware, so i'm trying to get the best of 32mb ram.

i removed everything i could:

spyware scanner

antivirus scanner

firewall

all background apps

do you recommend me to install the new w98se sp v2beta? and/or the 98se2me?

thanks in advance!

and for the non-english windows version, i'm running spanish version of windows, office2k, ie+oe5/6, etc, and i've found no problems with the english version of the service pack.

32MB ram LMFAO! (sorry couldnt help myself)

did u run 98lite B4 updating the sp? if so it didnt do much good, install 98, all updates , all programs THEN run 98lite :)

well, you should know that notebooks aren't flexible as desktop pcs, and i don't want to sell it, 'cause i like it very much :)

in this place, even old technology is expensive :}

and yes, i've installed 98lite first. i'll gonna try the other way.

so, the 98se2me.exe is going to slow down even more?

thanks for your reply

you should run 98lite after installing the sp n all your drivers n directx

i have a 333 mhz laptop and i put the sp then 98lite and it's fast

32 ram will be enuf for basic usage(check email,open some text document,play sum windows games,open 1 screensaver)it uses chubby,i need start menu editing as i do it all the time sides i need ie 6 for a few of the apps i run.

you should run 98lite after installing the sp n all your drivers n directx

i have a 333 mhz laptop and i put the sp then 98lite and it's fast

32 ram will be enuf for basic usage(check email,open some text document,play sum windows games,open 1 screensaver)it uses chubby,i need start menu editing as i do it all the time sides i need ie 6 for a few of the apps i run.

i've done that, without the SP. i have to keep it chubby for the html stuff of office2k and ie/oe6.

how do you manage the flash content? 3 ie flash windows results in minutes of delay between click and response.

so patching with 98se2me will be worse?

thanks for your reply

Can you still run games/emulators with 98lite? I have a notebook with similar specs and it runs fine, but DVD's play slow, would 98lite help, or is that strictly for basic stuff like word, outlook, etc?

I'd do the sleek workaround recommended there-- AND if you have an old win95 disc, you can swap shells as suggested onsite--I have not tried it actually, but it may help a lot in your case. If you don't have win95, i'm sure it won't cause too much hand-wringing at MS if someone sends you their w95 shell files.

The program's free, ýou won't hurt anything & can return to former state. I would also get rid of as much additional windows setup stuff as possible that 98lite didn't remove(control panel-add/remove programs-windows setup-details)-- themes, wallpaper, etc. For your present desktop theme, go thru the list of each item like active / inactive title bar, etc. and for the font setting of each item, change all different-color(likely white) ones to black-- you'll also need to lighten some background colors, change others-- in order to be able to subsequently read captions clearly. Go into control panel / sounds and select no sound for everything.

What are you playing your dvd's with? If hopefully you stick with wmp 6.4(or the third-party media player classic), MDDGx at his site has a tip to enable dvd play with it. For the other main such apps, use the real & quicktime Alternatives-- these codec pack will install those: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Mega_...ck/1080441198/1

Maybe if you use the older Adaptec or Roxio burner/udf programs rather than any more modern ones, disable auto-detect & auto-play in TweakUI & burner app, also disable it and as much as possible in Startup-- maybe with this app: http://www.friendlynetguide.com/downloads/startman10396.exe

Nix active desktop...

In control panel-system-performance- go into file system & graphics: toggle settings there for the cdrom, removable disk, hard disk read-ahead, & hardware acceleration.

With an app like cacheman(but don't let it auto-start auto-run): http://download.outertech.com/file.php?&PH...033&file=local9 you can optimize some settings such as cluster size, etc. AND it's going to install a recover-memory shortcut on your desktop: drag it down to your quicklaunch bar for when your system runs low on resources: at least you'll be able to recover enough to save work in progress, shut down apps & reboot.

Or, for this one task alone, MDGx recommends this one: http://www.jfitz.com/software/RAMpage/

Good luck.

mine has 160 ram,lucky me

well either buy more ram if the laptop will permit or buy a new one

mine can't be upgraded

new notebooks costs 1100 bucks where i live and i can't even afford that,the most i can is 200 bucks/month

no, this one cannot be upgraded. i know i have to buy a new one, but in this country, even old tech is very expensive compared with the average income (200 u$ dollars

:realmad:

that's way i'm still using 98se here