It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

We even care less about an OS that we can't use on an older machine
See... this makes sense to me. You have a legitimate reason to be running Windows 98SE.
Slower, taking more HD space, taking more memory, more complicated, unreliable activation sheme...
Maybe in your situation it's slower... but on the chips of today you really won't see a difference. It does take more space, but come on... most of you have 120+GB! Don't be greedy. It really isn't more complicated. Microsoft did such a great job bridging the gap between power users and first time users. The activation scheme is not "unreliable." It may be a pain to upgrade your hardware from time to time, but nothing a quick call won't fix.
XP is not as good as W98 (supposing it's SE with unoficial Service Pack by Gape), but of course XP works also very well and can also be used to type texts, play games, edit videos, make graphic design, using heavy software almost as well as on w98.
Windows XP will connect to a domain, which creates so many more possibilites than Windows 98 is capable of. The ability to have a user log on to their PC and use the authentication of that logon to access secure company websites, SQL based databases and much more. The flexibility of Windows XP is amazing.
But there are as many media components on XP as on w98 and still the possibility to install the DivX codecs as easily as on w98. So XP is not that retarded bastard some are trying to depict here.
From your post I am assuming you do not push your PC to it's limits. You use it like any standard user might. Like I said before... Windows 98 is probably right for you because of your PC speed and your lack of use of any advanced tools.
For a large company (yourself mention "corporation") XP might be usefull in some cases. It even has a DOS emulator and support for old softwares.
Yes, like I said domain authentication is a must. Windows XP does not have a "DOS emulator." The Windows XP command prompt is simply a terminal. It is very much like the DOS you know of, but completely different.
And if you have enough knowledge in the XP technology (Of course if you want to upgrade to a new and better OS you need to make some effort of learning the new system) you can even configurate it! How cool!
You would be amazed with the configuration that is possible with Windows XP. I hope one day you get a chance to check it out.

As I have said this whole post, if you have a reason to use Windows 98 I completely understand that. The problem I have is when you state it is "better" than Windows XP because of some myth you heard or because you are too naive to think Microsoft would release an inferior product to replace your precious Windows 98.

Happy Computing! :)

@randiroo76073

Bullet, if you were intellectualy honest you wouldn't even be posting in this forum, you wouldn't waste your time. That you do tells me where your intellect lies.

Unforgiven1, your name says it all, & your avatar tells what you think about other people besides yourself.

If you can't make a intelligent point opposing what other people say then you just try to verbally insult them. Real Mature. What are you 11 years old?

I'm rubber, your glue, bounces off me and sticks to you. :D

@Tim

I agree with you. That has been the point I have been trying to make from the beginning. You are more articulate with words than myself. Good job.

Unforgiven

From your post I am assuming you do not push your PC to it's limits. You use it like any standard user might. Like I said before... Windows 98 is probably right for you because of your PC speed and your lack of use of any advanced tools.
It's true that by using W98 I'm not pushing my PC to its limits, while using XP would do it from time to time.

I don't know what you are talking about with"lack of use" or "advanced tools" I use comps everyday and do 1000 of miscaelenious tasks on them, albeit for non professional use.

But I'm not using only one PC: I'm familiar to one old P200 with 512Mb (W98SE-SP2.0), an old Fujitsu Laptop 400Mhz with 32Mb (W98SE), a more recent PC with a P4 1.8 Ghz and 512 MB (W98SE-SP2.0), a Compaq Evo Laptop 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb (XP-Pro, special laptop version I think) and a new PC AMD Barton 2400 with 1Gb (XP-Pro SP2).

It is very much like the DOS you know of, but completely different.

LOL

You would be amazed with the configuration that is possible with Windows XP. I hope one day you get a chance to check it out.

Thanks. But I think I will visit the XP forums to ask advices on how to tweak-XP cuz alone I don't know what to do. The only time I wanted to disable services that sounded like I didn't need them, I couldn't connect to the internet anymore.

Well XP is perfect for the n00bs who don't want to configurate (except themes and wallpaper) and even doesn't know it's possible to configurate a PC.

But for me (who consider myself as a geek) who knows it's possible to configurate XP but can't find out how to do it, you know how I feel... ;)

I have heard there are OEM copies of XP with which you can't upgrade any hardware at all. When you want to upgrade those systems you must upgrade everything which means buying a new computer with a new OEM copy of XP

That's why XP became the #1 pirated software. Not only many poeple use a pirate version, but by doing so they also feel XP sucks because it comes without SP or any update at all.

But I'v also heard of corporates using cracks to avoid the call-activation crap eventhought they pay money for the licenses.

BillGate wanted to protect his revenues, he achieved exactely the opposite.

I have heard there are OEM copies of XP with which you can't upgrade any hardware at all. When you want to upgrade those systems you must upgrade everything which means buying a new computer with a new OEM copy of XP

That's why XP became the #1 pirated software. Not only many poeple use a pirate version, but by doing so they also feel XP sucks because it comes without SP or any update at all.

But I'v also heard of corporates using cracks to avoid the call-activation crap eventhought they pay money for the licenses.

BillGate wanted to protect his revenues, he achieved exactely the opposite.

Your thought about OEM versions is completely wrong.

If you buy Windows XP you can purchase it with SP2 already installed. As a matter of fact, SP2 was a big step and it was supposed to be on all new copies.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...alog=368&DEPA=0

Your thoughts of Bill Gates are just far fetched. Microsoft it trying to protect data. There is a lot of technology built into your OS. You can use Linux if you want free... Just like any other program... I'll bet you don't own a license on any one piece of software you have installed on your PC.

You'll like this analogy:

Windows XP is to Windows 98 as a Corvette is to a Honda Civic with a "fart pipe"

Windows XP is to Windows 98 as a Corvette is to a Honda Civic with a "fart pipe"

98 is like a Toyota Prius. Efficient and gets you where you need to go.

XP is more like a motorhome. Large, expensive, sluggish, hard to control, consumes a lot of resources, and has all kinds of features that you don't need while driving.

Unforgiven1, your name says it all, & your avatar tells what you think about other people besides yourself.

Agreed - it's disturbing to see such an offensive image multiple times. Even worse, it's being posted by a moderator.

My cousin, who had Win98, with no internet. And know nothing about computers just recently switched to XP with internet, and he loving it.

Few months back.

Only reason he switched was because his old computer and I mean old, got broken and he could not get it fixed.

Sonu,

Yep and he got a new computer included with his XP cd-rom package? Right?

(Poeple often buy XP hoping that it will sove all the problem with theyr 6 years old W98 machine, then at the store they are told to buy a new computer if they want to use XP.)

Unforgiven

With the size of drives today, who cares?

Ok with XP you waste 1.5 Gb (2Gb - 0.5Gb = 1.5Gb) that means 1.2 % of my 120Gb hard drive, before I had only a 40 GB HD, that meant 3.6 %...

Why pay more if you lose 1.2% of storage space? Of course it's not a lot but it's still visible especaly when in fact there is much less than 120 real Gb on a 120Gb drive (in fact 120 billions Bytes).

Tim Horton (whose thread has been blocked)

To answer the question, honestly, I would say that W98 is much easier to use than XP and I'm too lazy at the moment to go the "learning curve".

But the trigger was an hardware uncompatbility with XP and my then new computer graphic card 2 years ago. Now this problem was solved but I stuck with XP.

I also made a test that showed clearly that on this PC XP was slower than W98.

It was not a question of price because I had the OS included in the price of the PC.

120GB drive. All you own is freeware. I can't imagine that 1.5GB is a big loss to you. :) What do you do with the other 118.5GB?

I have Windows XP Professional. I have 2 80GB drives and only have 18GB being used on one of the drives.

I am no fan of product activation, but the idea that you have to reactivate every time you do an upgrade is a myth. I have upgraded a lot of XP machines and the only one I had to reactivate was a a computer with a blown MB with all integrated peripherals. If you keep the NIC and one other part is enough (the MAC address has more value than any other part). No normal upgrade will break it, and if you have a bad disk and have to reload windows on the same machine it will reactivate without any questions or calls to MS, so unless you are philosophically opposed to activation, this is a non-issue.

I hope everyone that makes software follow the Adobe way & stop making software for Win9x systems in the first place :thumbup. There is no problem with people using a 98 machine as long as they don't connect it to the internet. Most 98 machines connected to the internet are unpatched & firewalls are unheard of. See my post.