It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

You are arguing that Windows XP is slow to delete files? I can't believe this is one of your problems with it.

Everything is slow, deleting files is just one example.

I have still yet to see you post proof of this. I have posted studies that prove otherwise.

Is it possible you had the index service still on? Or System Restore? Two services that while they may not be needed by all, they are nice things to have.

I don't know, are you saying I should disable all of these XP features so my PC behaves as if 98 was installed? Is that what you do?

I do disable system restore, but I do not disable indexing.

Also, I would like to know how you went about measuring 1/2000th of a second.

It was obviously just a joke. I meant that the time is negligible. I press Delete and *poof* the file is gone. The disk doesn't grind and the UI doesn't stutter for seconds at a time.

EDIT: deleting folder is easy on 98 SE. On XP the pain seems to increase as the total number of files recursively selected increases.

That would be because of System Restore. It can be simply disabled during UA or by clicking one simple box.

This allows for you to do things without having the effects of a hanging system.

I don't know if it's strictly "hanging"; but whatever you call it, it prevents any meaningful work from being performed.

I guess we are just going to argue on this one. I believe you are incorrect.

Let me ask you... what internet browser do you use?

Sometimes IE, but usually FireFox. (I like all the features like tabbed browsing, RSS support, extensions, etc.)

Firefox takes 2-3 seconds longer to launch and takes longer to view pages as well. IE's launch is almost instant and your pages come up faster. So, why not use IE? Oh, could it be that even though Firefox takes just a little longer, it's options and functionality is worth it? :) So, even if your theory about Windows 98SE being faster was true... your browser is the only thing you are willing to compromise this speed for? Just yesterday I made a commitment to myself to run Firefox for a few days. I deleted all of the links to IE from my desktop and replaced them with FF. It kinda annoys me how long it takes to load and the extra few ticks it takes to pull up pages, but the more I use it the less I notice it.

Firefox takes 2-3 seconds longer

I haven't noticed this or heard of it before. I just did some tests and they seem about equal. Is it more of a problem when you have cached Internet files, or when you do not have them? Hmm, I wonder how they compare on memory or disk space usage?

Anyway, it is just one app and does not slow down everything I do like an OS can. Also it is not like I am paying $200 for the right to call up and ask permission to use it.

Firefox takes 2-3 seconds longer

I haven't noticed this or heard of it before. I just did some tests and they seem about equal. Are you saying there is an overhead problem with small web pages or is it with large web pages? Or both? Hmm, I wonder how they compare on memory or disk space usage?

Anyway, it is just one app and does not slow down everything like an OS can. Also it is not like I am paying $200 for the right to call up and ask permission to use it.

Firefox takes longer to load in Windows XP Pro on my PC. It also takes longer to load pages.

I deleted all of the links to IE from my desktop and replaced them with FF. It kinda annoys me how long it takes to load and the extra few ticks it takes to pull up pages.

Could this be due to FF not having any cached Internet files?

Firefox does have cached Internet Files... Check under TOOLS/OPTIONS/PRIVACY

I see you caught this and edited. Yes, FF caches too unless you shut it off. (any browser without a cache is almost useless on dialup)

I see you caught this and edited. Yes, FF caches too unless you shut it off.

Sorry, I knew FF has a cache but I thought maybe lack of cached files was slowing down un4given1 the first time he switched to FF. But I figured he probably would not have made his comparison of IE and FF on that basis.

Try K-Meleon if you want to see fast.

EDIT: BTW, I can boot xp or 98se and they are both wicked fast with whatever programs I am running. 98 def. loads faster, but other than that I can't blink fast enough for either. 1GB ram works wonders on any OS.

hey sorry bout not posting much,i am no longer a windows 98 se user(i switched in the first week in feb 2005 to xp only as it works better for me,Whimsy,your points are perfectly valid as for unforgivens as well,my opinions on windows 98 are different now then they were,un forgiven my posts were about windows 98 when i was still hanging onto it,now xp sp2 is my main os,Whimsy:i did try windows 2000 years ago and loved it,i have been working hard to switch win 98 users to xp,i have 1 pc that can't handle xp cuzz of ram(96)Hard drive(1 GB).

:D 1 gig hardrives i had a few of them in my day .if we convert everyone to xp the 98 forum will die oh no lol.its still great 2 see people creating programs here for 98 cause its nice 2 spruce up a os and 98 is so gray and bland.

hey sorry bout not posting much,i am no longer a windows 98 se user(i switched in the first week in feb  2005 to xp only as it works better for me,Whimsy,your points are perfectly valid as for unforgivens as well,my opinions on windows 98 are different now then they were,un forgiven my posts were about windows 98 when i was still hanging onto it,now xp sp2 is my main os,Whimsy:i did try windows 2000 years ago and loved it,i have been working hard to switch win 98 users to xp,i have 1 pc that can't handle xp cuzz of ram(96)Hard drive(1 GB).

Glad to hear it is working out for you. Let me know if I can ever help. :) Time to tackle a Windows XP UA CD! :)

Internet Explorer will start-up faster because its "Intergrated" with the operating system. The files needed for the browser loads when Windows starts up. Firefox has to load its own files so it will take longer to open for its first time. As for speed of web pages, look on the mozillazine forums for speed tweaks.

Internet Explorer will start-up faster because its "Intergrated" with the operating system. The files needed for the browser loads when Windows starts up. Firefox has to load its own files so it will take longer to open for its first time. As for speed of web pages, look on the mozillazine forums for speed tweaks.

I could care less about REASONS why its slow. All that matters is firefox is a tortoise and IE is a poison-house. Opera fits in nicely.

Ithink we should move to the "best browser" forum...

I'm a fan of maxthon, it loads as fast or almost as fast as IE. but has such a kick-a** interface!

Back to the topic: My W98 is not gray: I have plenty of colorful apparence shemes.

W98 loads slightly faster (not very noticeably) but it shut down much much faster: almost like swithig off a TV set, while XP takes ages to save some file settings or I don't know what. There is always a progress bar that seems to never end.

Of course Un4given never switch off his CC (Corporate Computer) cuz he'z managing the network "server-side" from home 24/7...

W98 loads slightly faster (not very noticeably) but it shut down much much faster: almost like swithig off a TV set, while XP takes ages to save some file settings or I don't know what. There is always a progress bar that seems to never end.

shut down?

What's that? :P

I forgot that concept years ago. I run systems 24/7 (even my home PC). I make it a point to know what work is happening at some terminal, and if there's nothing going on, then I GIVE it some!

Its also good for your hardware, since that way it doesn't have to "wear and tear" due to warming up and cooling down intermittently. The only concern is power consumption, and if you can get remotely get PCs to do something useful even when no one is sitting in front of it, then even that cost is offset.

In short - shutting down time does not matter.

But still, if you're interested... on the same spec. and same software installed, XP is quicker to both boot-up and shutdown because of built-in optimizations. And if that much optimization is not enough, you still have bootvis available for you to find out ways to speed it up further.

You should run the OS you prefer. While I would never run it, good for those that will. My favorite operating environment will never be yours and vice versa.

Corporations, however, have to consider the support lifetime. See below:

Key Dates:

* Paid incident support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me) is available through June 30, 2006.

* Critical security updates will be provided on the Windows Update site through June 30, 2006.

* Customers may request non-critical security fixes for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, and the most current version of their components until June 30, 2006 through typical assisted-support channels.

* Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me downloads for existing security issues will continue to be available through regular assisted-support channels at no charge until June 30, 2006.

* No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.

* No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows Me ended on December 31, 2003.

* Online self-help support will be available until at least June 30, 2007.