It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

In western europe, the Home edition (Belgium) it's 100 euros (125$) with or without hardware(+-).

In eastern europe it's usualy free with hardware and 5$ without (but always the Pro version) . :)

So it's not realy a question of price.

XP is more stable than 98 (that's not questionned). But instead of XP, I was seriousely contemplating Linux when my W98 crashed for the nth time in a row.

Fortunately SP2.0 saved me from migration and it seems I didn't have a crash in the last week I ran the pack.

i prefer windows 2000 to any other version of windows because it's not as bloated as Windows XP and still uses the NTFS filesystem. so they are equal in terms of stability and security :)

Windows XP seems to be geared too much towards new computer users for me.

Windows XP seems to be geared too much towards new computer users for me.

I have seen new comers complain its too advanced! So which of the two opinions is wrong?

Neither. In fact, its been so well made that newbies and power users both instantly feel at home.

I was seriousely contemplating Linux when my W98 crashed for the nth time in a row.
It would be nice to see how many of those who threaten to move to linux actually stay with it. Most just move back to windows within a month at most.

I do work on the linux platform, and believe me its a wonderful OS - for the server.

If used with graphical interfaces on the desktop, it becomes just as crashy and in fact slower and more memory-consuming than windows.

In fact, it (XP) s been so well made that newbies and power users both instantly feel at home.
No, I didn't feel at home with XP, that's why I stayed with 98.

How I could live when My Documents are not in C:\? :)

I was seriousely contemplating Linux when my W98 crashed for the nth time in a row.
It would be nice to see how many of those who threaten to move to linux actually stay with it.

Yeah, there was many reasons why I didn't go Linux. And most of those who stay with Linux, even the Linux fans, have dual-boot with windows...

If you dual-boot it's a proff that your OS miss something.

No, I didn't feel at home with XP, that's why I stayed with 98.

How I could live when My Documents are not in C:\?

I can't believe this is one of your biggest complaints. I already told you how to fix this. Right click on My Documents and put it there. What's wrong with it there anyways?

I can't believe this is one of your biggest complaints.  I already told you how to fix this.  Right click on My Documents and put it there.  What's wrong with it there anyways?

Those that have to pay for their OS won't be bothered by such small issues which can be fixed easily. Its mostly the home crowd that gets everything free, which sticks up on superficial matters....
Yeah, there was many reasons why I didn't go Linux. And most of those who stay with Linux, even the Linux fans, have dual-boot with windows...

If you dual-boot it's a proff that your OS miss something.

By your own admission, that statement should mean that linux misses something?

Try getting a corporate to agree to dual-boot. The one in charge of security would die of horror. There's a defined set of requirements. WinXP fulfils all those while win98 doesn't. No one means to say that microsoft's efforts on getting XP out, and later, on the massive SP2 update, are a pile of wasted time, do they?

Also, longhorn is mostly XP.

I can't believe this is one of your biggest complaints

No you can't because it's not my biggest complain. I don't have "big" complain against XP.

I'm just upset about these continuous rumors that XP "is easier to use", "lots of media enhancement", "everybody feel at home" and all these craps.

Does XP include a mecanic arm with a white glove poping out the screen to serve you a cup of coffee? No. So, as long as it doesn't, I'll stay with w98...

• 2 weeks later...

:o I have written a few threads on regards to 98se and XP, well guess what I went out and purchased a new computer and with it came XP Home Edition. Well now that I own it and have worked with it, I still dont like it.

On my previous win98se I had a wireless network card, and have tried everything to keep me on line however I am not having much success. Now I have found myself in a circle.

USR didnt responde for over a week, (told me to install per my instructions), if that failed then contact the manufactor, (idiots they were the manufactor), then response was to contact computer manufactor who referred me to manufactor of the card.

I then contacted Microsoft to find out if I was doing something wrong, or special rules for installing this card, (which is still sold) and they wrote back and told me to get an updated driver from the manufactor.

My problem is this: I installed my wireless netword pc card in my new machine and XP has a special section on wireless networks, took forever just to get the dial up adapter, now my when XP decides that it is going to do an update, it shuts down my network just for them, so I went in and shut down the auto updates after receiving Service Pack 2, and now the network just shuts down when ever it feels like it and it will tell me that the card is not installed. I sent the documentation to all companies involved and they told me that it was installed properly and that i will just have to put up with the quirk.

I WANT MY NEW COMPUTER, AND I WANT THE STABILITY OF MY NETWORKING BACK THAT I HAD WITH 98SE.

XP is not serving my purpose when i am surfing the net because it keeps shutting down and plus when I go into Outlook Express it tells me that my account (5 years old) is forbidden. I always have to reboot and everything will work for a while again.

And when I am able to stay on line, could someone pls tell me what is downloading in the background all the time because I have turned off all updates, dont have a virus and no spyware, but it is always sending me about 10 mil of data per hour, what is this. (By the way I have the Windows Messenger disabled.

How is this OS so stable, because I have alot of instability, and right now with tax season upon me, I am busier than ever and really dont have time for this.

Can anyone help me with my network problem at the moment so that I can get over tax season because the professionals just dont have the answers and then after tax season I can deal with the rest. My vote is still for win98se.

Thank you in advance :wacko:

I had more annoyances with XP today :(

For a while I could click on an text editing window but it wouldn't actually change the cursor position.

Then I'm typing along and it freezes up inexplicably for nearly a minute. Grrrr!

I definitely find 98 SE to be more responsive and stable.

sounds like you are having some hardware issues. Please don't try to mask these as Windows XP problems, as they are not. If you were not having hardware issues you would fnid that Windows XP runs beautifully.

winxp is better than 98 in most reguards but some stuff may not work on xp(like some old dos apps or 98 only apps) so a dual boot xp/98 will do,sides if you wanna say burn a dvd movie you can't use 98 cuzz max single file size is 4 GB but on xp it can be the size of the hard drive,if 98 serves you well and does what you need it to do then by all means stick to it or whicthever windows works for you, no1 has to goto xp or say 98,they go it what they want=choice.