It has been 7 years since Win98 was released

un4given1

prathapml:

here's my office 2k3 scoop:

I installed Publisher 2003 oem version on a really old p3-500 win98se, which btw already contained either Office 97 or 2K. No install hacks, no tricks. I was also able to update it at MS Office update.

That machine i do not have anymore. I just tried office2003 on the current 98(amd) that has no other office installed & sure enough, what you say applies: no cigar.

The other office installs i have are on other OS & machines.

Maybe other of the standalone apps will install(wish i had those separate to try)-- guess i ASSumed wrong for the whole Office suite...................... :wacko:

I have 4 machines between home and work. 2x98, 1xHome, 1xPro. I use the OS that came with or I originally installed on the machine. I don't feel like shelling out $150 for another OS when the one that is already on the machine works just fine doing what it does. One of the 98's is going to be nothing more than a chat machine for a niece, the other I am going to switch to Linux.... well, for the fun of it. I run a minor cad program at work and I am now retiring one of the machines because it gets overwhelmed sometimes. Don't know if it is the OS or machine (my bet is on the machine) but either way it is getting too slow.

If Microsoft isn't supporting Win98, then what is it's status? Is it still licensed? What can you and can you not do with it now that it isn't 'supported'?

DL

Why even run XP(over 4 years old now!)...maybe u should try linux...the most updated OS on planet earth.
maybe you should try unplugging your keyboard and getting a life... :)
If Microsoft isn't supporting Win98, then what is it's status? Is it still licensed? What can you and can you not do with it now that it isn't 'supported'?
It holds the same license it had when you purchased it. You have no more rights to the software than the day it came out. "Unsupported" just simply means that the OS is no longer supported Microsoft's update and support teams. It's just like the warranty on your new car or truck running out. You can still drive it, you can still work on it and use it, but Ford isn't going to just fix it for you for free.

Why even run XP(over 4 years old now!)...maybe u should try linux...the most updated OS on planet earth.
maybe you should try unplugging your keyboard and getting a life... :)
It holds the same license it had when you purchased it. You have no more rights to the software than the day it came out. "Unsupported" just simply means that the OS is no longer supported Microsoft's update and support teams. It's just like the warranty on your new car or truck running out. You can still drive it, you can still work on it and use it, but Ford isn't going to just fix it for you for free.

<_< Figured as much. Thanks un4given1

smokeyjoint: > Remote Desktop? No wrong i took the remote desktop setup off xp sp2 and it works on win98 just extract it with winrar. heres a picdesktop remote

Exactly... MS has a bunch of downloads w/ guides for remote-connecting / accessing 2k/xp server domains, tunneling vpn's, etc. in 98 & ME.... ok, so one may not have every single last feature & security benefit, but it suffices fairly adequately. At the point it becomes a shortcoming for one's work, one's salary / company budget can well afford pretty much any os, software, hardware needed several times over-- thus rendering this topic moot: at that point XP or other MS OS would be too limiting, so custom apps costing thousands are at one's disposal(as well pricey tech support-- wouldn't spend time on this forum for example), one's pc may have 2-4 gb ram, multiple SCSI disks, possibly in RAID array.... brings up a similar analogy:

-- why don't we all get scsi drives then? Because heavy-duty / specialized work may justify spending a multiple of several times for the privilege of single or low-double digit % performance increase....

Value is in the eye of each individual user, but there's no big tech / performance leap from a tweaked 98 like we have-- to winxp, as with dos/win3 to win98-- or as there will be between 2k/xp to a stable and established Longhorn(widespread apps for the architecture).

A casual user is different-- they need more compatibility & have less time to spend tweaking & diddling-- so let them get XP, though it itself still needs a lot of adjusting & fixing(BlackViper, autopatcher, ntlite, xplite anyone?).

Peace.....

B) > Remote Desktop? No  wrong i took the remote desktop setup off xp sp2 and it works on win98 just extract it with winrar. heres a picdesktop remote.

Yes... the client piece is available on any of the Windows OSes. You can download it right off of the MS website. The server piece however is not. You can not use Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows 98 PC.

smokeyjoint: > Remote Desktop? No wrong i took the remote desktop setup off xp sp2 and it works on win98 just extract it with winrar. heres a picdesktop remote

Exactly... MS has a bunch of downloads w/ guides for remote-connecting / accessing 2k/xp server domains, tunneling vpn's, etc. in 98 & ME.... ok, so one may not have every single last feature & security benefit, but it suffices fairly adequately. At the point it becomes a shortcoming for one's work, one's salary / company budget can well afford pretty much any os, software, hardware needed several times over-- thus rendering this topic moot: at that point XP or other MS OS would be too limiting, so custom apps costing thousands are at one's disposal(as well pricey tech support-- wouldn't spend time on this forum for example), one's pc may have 2-4 gb ram, multiple SCSI disks, possibly in RAID array.... brings up a similar analogy:

-- why don't we all get scsi drives then? Because heavy-duty / specialized work may justify spending a multiple of several times for the privilege of single or low-double digit % performance increase....

Value is in the eye of each individual user, but there's no big tech / performance leap from a tweaked 98 like we have-- to winxp, as with dos/win3 to win98-- or as there will be between 2k/xp to a stable and established Longhorn(widespread apps for the architecture).

A casual user is different-- they need more compatibility & have less time to spend tweaking & diddling-- so let them get XP, though it itself still needs a lot of adjusting & fixing(BlackViper, autopatcher, ntlite, xplite anyone?).

Peace.....

I will bet you that 90% of you die hard Windows 98 users aren't concerned about the money. I'll bet it's just all out hatred for something you don't know.

As Johnny Carson would say,"Wrong, Microsoft- breath!" :lol:

I already told you i use all OS-- some more than others-- I can tweak XP until the cows come home if you wish: tweak pagefile sizes & partition location, enable udma, tweak dns cache & page rendering, turn off file indexing, have no fast-user switching on, no remote help, disable/turn down visual effects / themes service, no auto update... on & on ad nauseum.......

& i'm in no hurry to upgrade the win9x-- of course, that will change / is gradually changing as more and more program versions can only run on nt platform.... give it time.........yet.....

i have some neural / database programs that run multiple times faster on fat32 win98 than on ntfs platform & the 64-bit platform too(of course, they're not compiled for either)... Plus, when i occasionaly use office or photoshop, XP hasn't done it appreciably faster: its not like i'm clinging to Dos instead of Windows..... and btw the first versions of Windows didn't do anything any better-- perhaps worse actually-- than Dos, if you'll remember........

I don't know what else to tell you:

I don't use the computer as a game console, nor as a tv / jukebox.... and i don't do big, collaborative work projects at a mega-corporation....

I do use the computer for totally free telephone service with a real telephone number(not one of those 15 digit web ones either)-- actually have several numbers in different countries-- all free: ditched my telco...... so don't be afraid of VOIP-- ditch your phone co.! :lol:

I didn't climb on any soapbox to preach, only answered a request for opinions... :}

Don't get me wrong. I respect each of you for your own reasons... But when you have false opinions about something and you base your sole opinion on that then I have a problem. I understand not wanting to spend money, or just not having a system that can run XP. I respect anyone who is just "afraid" to upgrade because it's different. When Windows 95 came out I was in that boat. I refused to upgrade... Kept comming up with excuses about how much it sucked. I finally gave in and it wasn't so bad. I was even worse with Windows 98, believe it or not. Windows ME came and I jumped at it... what a mistake. Windows XP came and I couldn't wait to install it. I haven't poked around with Longhorn because I am not much of a fan of unfinished work, and that's what Longhorn is. I rely on my computer for too much to run a BETA system. I use it to VPN/RDC into work. I use it to do web programming. I use it to make custom spreadsheets and Access databases. I do video editing (hobby) and even photo editing. Since I switched to Windows XP I have been victim of less and less crashes, and more XPerience (pun) :) I'm not completely against Windows 98... I'm about to install it on my 2 year old's computer because it's just not been taking to XP well (500mhz, 256MB RAM) and she just loves her Blue's Clues!

Oh, and I'm not slamming your opinions... but like any great debate, I am simply supplying rebuttals. What upsets me is when someone answers a question with no real knowledge of both sides and just has no clue.

We're basically saying the same thing. Plus, you have different needs with your multimedia work & other corporate work-- you're good to at least try a 64-bit system separately right now-- to get a head start--

I don't think you were so wrong to hold out on 95, and are dead-on re 98: both got beta-rush-released late in their namesake year, & took another half-year or more to issue their stable(sic) release... not as bad with 95-- windows 97 & 2000 would've been more fitting names. Shouldda jumped on 2K, ehh? At least you have the ME disk-- you can now apply MDGx's 98toME routine...

Windows 95--- for years i had a cheapass friend(he makes a lot of money) who stayed with it through XP's release: kept pestering everyone incessantly to help him with it & it's limited functionality-- "maybe if i add another 16mb ram: but it's so expensive!"... what a hump.....

I just haven't had stability problems with 98-- on myriad systems..... In fact, i set up a dual-boot system for someone's new computer last year: dual-lan gigabyte / w/ a promise raid setup: 98 & 2k. For all the concern re drivers for 98-- everything went flawlessly, but 2k barfed: pro, server, 2003, etc. would only start w/ the dual lan disabled. So, XP came to the rescue!!

You likely disagree, but I don't know that XP's proven it's a finished work-- & with Longhorn coming, it likely will never be.... Multi-boot & multiple hard disks is what i say--- for crucial work like yours i would want that safety net / immediate access / continue working....

Heck, let's just get a Sparc running Solaris....