Limited or No Connectivity on Intel Pro 100 /ve

Spinman

Trying to add a computer to my home wired network.

Gigabyte 8I-EXP motherboard with ethernet connection on motherboard (Intel Pro 100/ve network connection).

I have activated the device in bios and applied the manufacturers device driver. The device show up as functioning properly in device manager.

I have the computer attached to a wired switch - and the display lights are illuminated. (BTW - I use a dial-up modem for internet - don't think that would cause any problems).

The device is show as not connected in the system tray icon and in the LAN network connection screen. The specific message is " Limited or No Connectivity. You might not be able to access the internet or some network resources. This problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

I have tried running the repair option, but it did not resolve anything.

I have tried turning off my Norton and Windows Firewall to see if that was a problem - no change.

Wondering if anyone might have some suggestions for my next steps...

Thanks -

Sorry to tell you this but you nic is bad. I have seen it before. If you go into device manager then double click your nic you can change the negotiation to 10 mbit half duplex and some times it will work like that, other wise it is just bad. If it does work like that there is still somethin wrong with it eithway.

Send Her Back.

There's a slim chance it's your cable. You could swap that out and give it another try.

When you installed the manufacturer's driver for your NIC, was it their newest driver?

If neither of the above helps, it's most likely that your NIC is bad.

- Ravashaak

Going into device manager - I accessed the advanced settings panel and changed the link speed from auto detect to 10mbps / half duples, per your suggestion. The yellow exclamation mark is removed and the info bubble informs me that it is trying to acquire a network address. The lights on my switch = Link/Act (on) 100 (off) Full/Col (off). After a while - the yellow exclamation point returns with the same error message.

When I reset it back to auto detect - all 3 lights on the switch are illuminated again.

The Motherboard is several years old - so a return is not in the works. If it is in fact defective - than a PCI network card may be my next step.

Where is it trying to acquire a network address from? I see that there is an option in device manager to assign a locally administered address. Would putting value in that field resolve anything?

This is a new install of windows - so there should not be any conflicting garbage left over that is causing interference...

I did switch the cable - no change in status. Everything seems to click in solid.

I downloaded the drivers from the web site last night - so they are the latest and greatest.

I removed the driver utility and tried to install using the installation CD that came with the motherboard - it reported that no LAN devices were found. When I clicked on the network adapter in device manager - and pointed to the Cd - it found the OEM drivers and installed them - resulting in the same sequence of messages. Retested the half duplex setting - problem continues.

So it would appear that my NIC feature on the motherboard has failed.

Funny thing - I tried to install a LInksys PCI LAN card in the system last year (to check out the card) - it failed to load and Linksys was unable to offer any suggestions - other than the card was bad.

Wonder if there is something generic in the bios (or elsewhere) that is causing a LAN enable problem.

Thanks!

If you don't kave a DHCP server running and you have WIN XP with SP2 you could experience this syptom... Try applying static IP to you network adapter in order to correspond with your other LAN settings (like IP 192.168.0.10 sub mask 255.255.255.0)

Did a little experimenting since my last post...

Disabled the motherboard LAN via bios to remove it from my experiments.

1) Add an PCI LAN card - during installation I was unable to get it to properly load the drivers. Kept getting an error message (that I don't remember at this time). Contacted Linksys support and worked with them for 10 minutes - his conclusion - the PCI card was bad..... (?) In reality - it is probably because of my overall problem... I'll have to try the card again on another machine.

2) I then tried to network using a USB wireless G network device and set up a peer-to-peer connection with another computer at home. I am able to get the signal and recognize the other computer (and it in reverse) - but I am unable to access the workgroup on the problem machine - keep getting a MS message that I need to contact my system administrator.....

3) On the off chance that I might have a registry setting that was the cause of the problem - I did a clean install of XP on a new hard disk and installed the wireless connection immediately after installing my intel chipset drivers. Same problems. Same error messages.

4) Flashed back to the OEM version of the bios to see if that was favorable - no improvement (using a hacked bios).

Looks like it is 0 for 3 - motherboard LAN port; PCI NIC; USB wireless.

Without going into specifics - is there a component on the motherboard that could have failed that would prevent me from establishing network communications via all three methods (including PCI and USB)? Everything else on the system works perfectly.

I have a fully loaded machine - is it possible that a card conflict or IRQ mismatch would be the cause? I might try the USB wireless again after removing all the PCI cards tonight.

(My 2nd machine was a clean install 2 days ago - wireless installed w/o any problems and shows the shared folders from that machine on the network workgroup - obvisouly nothing from the 1st machine despite having a connected wireless link). I don't understand why the problem machine will not display the shared folders under its network workgroup in explorer...

Is there anysort of utility (MS or 3rd party) I could run to check for conflicts or defective hardware on the motherboard?

I'll try aSmilon's suggestion tonight when I get home as well.

YUK! - (this puts a crimp into my home media center network)

Finally got everything to work - but don't know why I had to do it the way I did.

I booted into safe mode - at which point an unspecified device loaded.

Rebooted and returned to normal mode - no improvement.

Rebooted and returned to safe mode.

Reconfigured entire network settings in safe mode.

Renamed PC and Workgroup

Rebooted back into safe mode

Renamed PC and Workgroup

Rebooted back into normal mode.

System partially correct.

System stable and works perfectly (for at least the last hour).

Very strange....

i only get that problem when i connect my card to my modem. its because it cannot get any information about you ip and subnet. even when you conenct, it will continue to say it because those settings are in the internet connection icon. the main way too stop it is just unselect notify me if this connection has limited or no connectivity. if your connected to a network or something, its possible your not getting any info from the dchp server. this happens with sp2

if it works perfectly but says that still, just unselect the option to tell you about it

Finally got everything to work - but don't know why I had to do it the way I did.

I booted into safe mode - at which point an unspecified device loaded.

Rebooted and returned to normal mode - no improvement.

Rebooted and returned to safe mode.

Reconfigured entire network settings in safe mode.

Renamed PC and Workgroup

Rebooted back into safe mode

Renamed PC and Workgroup

System partially correct.

System stable and works perfectly (for at least the last hour).

Very strange....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done! As you say Very Strange! :thumbup

I have seen this with my machine as well as others. It happens without warning. It seems it is a problem with SP2 but have not figured it out. The only solution I have found is to physically remove the drivers and the card and reinstall.

I had almost exactly the same symptoms crop up a couple of weeks ago. - This is what fixed it for me (and a couple of other people I know):

Update for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB884020)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

I apply this patch as a matter of course during my unattended installs ... no problems ever after that.

Dave

War Eagle!

From Microsoft:

Overview

This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2. Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback address range may not work as expected and you may receive an error message indicating you cannot establish a connection. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

SYMPTOMS

On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect. For example, you may receive an error message that says that you cannot establish a connection.

CAUSE

This problem occurs if the program connects to a loopback address other than 127.0.0.1. Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) prevents connections to all IP addresses that are in the loopback address range except for 127.0.0.1.

• 2 weeks later...