Installation as Administrator and one other quest.

midiboy

Hi Benjamin,

is there currently an option somewhere to install a few programs as the currently logged on user (Administrator in my case ) instead of the default user that got created by Wihu?

I would need this for a few programs .... :rolleyes:

edit: without having to check "use currently logged on user" on the first dialog page because I would still like to add a default user and I need this option only for 2 or 3 programms, not for all programs.

And another thing ...

I would like to move the shell folder "Common Documents" which you can see in "My Computer" to some other location from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents". The option in TweakUI does not work. I then tried modifying the registry, there are some options available under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and Shell folders.

However, even if this works somewhat, it seems to cause problems because for instance, Adobe Acrobat will install something in this folder and then not find it during uninstallation if the registry was changed and cause and error message.

So my question would be ... could you maybe add an option to change the "Common Documents, Common Music, Common Videos and Common Pictures" folders for the PC if this is possible in a correct and working way ?

Thanks,

Alex

edit: without having to check "use currently logged on user" on the first dialog page because I would still like to add a default user and I need this option only for 2 or 3 programms, not for all programs.

Sorry, but that is currently not possible.

I would like to move the shell folder "Common Documents" which you can see in "My Computer" to some other location from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents". The option in TweakUI does not work.

Why does it not work?

This isn't possible either at this time. I think you have also to move entire directory data to new location.

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

I understand. :(

Well, maybe you can implement that sometime in the future. The reason why I would need some programs to install as the Administrator (currently logged on) instead of the default user is that some programs open a website after silent installation (Dreamweaver, ZoomPlayer etc.) This is no problem as I can taskkill the browser window but it still triggers the creation of a new profile (I am using firefox as the default browser) and therefore the "Import Internet explorer favorites" wizard does not come up anymore when the user opens firefox for the first time which is bad.

I could of course delete the profile after installation but what if someone tried to reinstall some programs from CD using Wihu at some later date ? It would then delete the profile again.

I know, a very specific problem to firefox users ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, being able to install a few programs as the currently logged on user would help a lot !

I was thinking of a new command. Something like "UseCurrentUser.1 = 1" which would be 0 by default but could be set to 1 for some programs.

Why does it not work?

This isn't possible either at this time. I think you have also to move entire directory data to new location.

Well, first of all, I am not really sure what I am doing ... :yes:

I stumbled across this settings by accident. There are two places in the registry (maybe more?) for the "Common Documents" setting: UserSHellFolders and ShellFolders. See picture. They behave differently though. If I set the setting under "UserShellFolder" the exported key is in hex:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
"Common Documents"=hex(2):25,00,41,00,4c,00,4c,00,55,00,53,00,45,00,52,00,53,\
 00,50,00,52,00,4f,00,46,00,49,00,4c,00,45,00,25,00,5c,00,44,00,6f,00,6b,00,\
 75,00,6d,00,65,00,6e,00,74,00,65,00,00,00

Writing into this key using the REG ADD command does not seem to work, at least not during setup. Even if the setting is accepted in the registry, the folder "Common Documents" on "My computer" either points to the same old place or the folder disappeares completely which would indicate that this reg setting is not enough.

I DID copy the content of the folder to the new location manually but it did not help!

Moreovere, programs like Adobe Acrobat install into this folder and if the folder is moved later on ( even if I copy the Adobe folder to the new location ), the Acrobat uninstaller exits with a major network error if the registry setting points to another location. Setting it back to the default will cure that problem ...

Either way, this does not seem to work ...

Bye,

Alex