Total Commander 6.50 is out! , Silence please...

totoymola

THE TITLE IS INCORRECT. **** TYPO ERROR! How I wish I have an option to edit the title.. :lol:

Edit: Thanks for editing the title. :lol:

Total Commander 6.50 is out! http://www.ghisler.com/whatsnew.htm

Installing it silently is pretty easy. Just change the INSTALL.INI

[auto]

auto=0

to

[auto]

auto=1

But the question is, how can I close the explorer windows that pops up after the installation? This is my old problem for some of my programs.. :D

EDIT: If I can't find a way to do this, I will just copy the installed files and make an sfx.

Actually, this is a standalone app. All you need to do is place wincmd.ini in your system directory (to preserve your settings) and the Total Commander folder in Program Files. To my knowledge TCmd doesn't even try to access the registry. =)

For the title, you can PM me with topic link and the new name you want it to be. :)

About the SFX, if an app won't protest then that's my preferred way because of compression, and many other reasons. (sadly msoffice wants a crapload in the registry made by its installer)

Now for your problem, one thing I can say for sure is that no app I install at T-12 (cmdlines.txt) shows up any explorer windows (even the installers that normally throw up an explorer window with start menu shortcuts don't dare do it!). This could be because explorer.exe simply can't be started at that stage becvause of DLLs or whatever....

If that is not a solution, and your app installs are done at GUIrunOnce (that's when explorer.exe is NOT running), then you could just use

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe

In XP home, taskkill is not available so you can download pskill from sysinternals.com

pskill explorer.exe

Hoping this helps....

Do post back on what you finally decided to do.

You guys are right. This is another software that doesn't need installation. So I think I will just make an sfx, or I will repack it if I want to have an uninstaller. :) I just have to include two ini files. The WINCMD.INI and wcx_ftp.ini which are in the %systemroot%.

Before, I was afraid to taskkill explorer.exe because I thought I need it. But I think you are correct, I don't need it. :lol:

Thank you. :)

i did the

[auto]
auto=1

and the taskkill worked like a charm too.

then i got to thinking, if it was possible to add my key to the install. It is.

i used a prg that can open the CAB file inside the EXE and added my key.

so now that i use this installer it installs my key into the install dir. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

well ok, but now what if you installed a bunch of plug-ins with custom settings and come to find out all the settings including install diretories are hard coded into the wincmd.ini file and placed in %systemroot%. this is great if you know that windows will always and only be installed to one particular drive letter but what if i change the installed partition from C:, now installation wont be correct.