Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0.3.1000

contender

Well it seems Symantec have changed the way they do the definition updates... after using
start /wait 20050308-021-i32.exe /EXTRACT /q "d:\savce\program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs"

and then testing by running liveupdate (after installing the complete new updated version) live update downloaded the files and applied the update again... however the date and rev number was the same...

Anyone got any ideas here?

Take a look at your Log.LiveUpdate file:

10/03/2005, 16:17:04 GMT -> ********* Finished Finding Available Updates *********

10/03/2005, 16:17:04 GMT -> GetUpdates: Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Server, 9.0, SymAllLanguages ==> ennluxdb.x86
10/03/2005, 16:17:04 GMT -> Progress Update: DOWNLOAD_BATCH_START: Files to download: 1, Estimated total size: 19321887
10/03/2005, 16:17:04 GMT -> Progress Update: DOWNLOAD_FILE_START: URL: "http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com/ennluxdb.x86"

Download and then unzip to [Program files]\Symantec Antivirus

VD1CD220.XDB
VD1CD220.vdb

Intended audience: Advanced/Expert IT Pros

I had this recurrent feeling of said this before...

These patches / updates or what ever you want to call them are only manually downloadable. Symantec keeps them somewhere else other than live update and the download center.

Update Virus Definitions:

Replace the "program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs" with the new downloaded version from:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ges/US-N95.html

is it me or is anyone else having a major issue with replacing the Virus Defs?

If I delete and replace files as above - the installer whines about missing VIRSCANT.DAT as this is the only file missing from the downloaded i32 archive. I then Copy & Paste the extracted files to said folder and install on a fresh VirtualPC and voila - LiveUpdate then insists on all 6.76MB of updates download afterwards. :realmad:

FYI - I am using SAV 9.0.3.1000 with LU26

Update Virus Definitions:

Replace the "program files\Symantec AntiVirus\Virus Defs" with the new downloaded version from:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ges/US-N95.html

If I delete and replace files as above - the installer whines about missing VIRSCANT.DAT as this is the only file missing from the downloaded i32 archive. I then Copy & Paste the extracted files to said folder and install on a fresh VirtualPC and voila - LiveUpdate then insists on all 6.76MB of updates download afterwards. :realmad:

No i am having the same problems :realmad:

I have just recreated another admin install of SAV903 to 'start again' - this time with a Feb 2005 vir def folder - and the symptoms are exactly the same - LU insists on downloading the entire update package regardless.

Its almost as though the vir defs folder is either missing something or the date/time stamps are incorrect?

I have just recreated another admin install of SAV903 to 'start again' - this time with a Feb 2005 vir def folder - and the symptoms are exactly the same - LU insists on downloading the entire update package regardless.

Its almost as though the vir defs folder is either missing something or the date/time stamps are incorrect?

yep same issues here - maybe they have not made the changes in the def files to reflect the changes in the 9.0.3.1000?

• 3 weeks later...

If I delete and replace files as above - the installer whines about missing VIRSCANT.DAT as this is the only file missing from the downloaded i32 archive. I then Copy & Paste the extracted files to said folder and install on a fresh VirtualPC and voila - LiveUpdate then insists on all 6.76MB of updates download afterwards.  :realmad:

I did NOT say delete the files in the folder!!!!

I said OVERWRITE!

Notice, the VIRSCANT.DAT is never in the update virdefs... there are 42 files in virdefs dir, but only 41 in the updated virdefs from symantec - just overwrite all 41, and leave VIRSCANT.DAT alone! its the original file from the installer.