Wow, this can be addictive

Girkers

I have been organising my own CD/DVD for about a month now and I am hooked. It is good fun, but also a challenge.

I would like to hear what "interfaces" other people are using because that is the part I like to work on. I started with WIHU and have now moved to WPI, but I do like the look of Xplode, but I don't know too much about it.

I look forward to communicating with all people in regards to this topic.

I'm hooked. :yes:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm using NullSoft Install System. The main bulk of this use is for a WPI replacement for installing applications but I've also used it to repackage crapper installers for some apps I use. I've even used it as a loader for a NOTEPAD.EXE replacement. I use EditPlus to do all my editing but I didn't want to litter the \WINNDOWS folder with EditPlus's config files so I made an installer which actually just runs EDITPLUS.EXE from it's own folder.

I do like the WPI UI and may look into a similar look for my NSIS script.

I use NSIS instead of WPI because I've got more control. It's fully scriptable and supports everything from copying/deleting files to customising the install UI. It's got plenty of plugins too. It also supports LZMA compression which means you get super small self install exe's.

One thing I'll say about the script langauge is that it's similar to batch with a smattering of VB script and a hint of assembler. But don't let that put you off! It's quite simple to pick up (Although I work with JAVA, C++, C#, Jython on a daily basis so it may be more tricky for some).

I've nearly finished my UXP CD and will be posting my experiences with NSIS once I've confirmed everything is working.

I know what you mean about being addictive but I also look at it as an investment (Although my wife might disagree!). I mean I have three machines to setup at home and the less downtime the better. Plus I wanted to upgrade to SP2 but I'd heard some ppl had problems so I wanted to do a clean XP + SP2 install.

Enjoy the site and try to keep track of what problem you are trying to solve when you go searching otherwise you just find yourself looking at some really cool topic two hours later and have totally forgotten what you went on the forum for. (Like me, now!)

do what i do. dload the songs and my bro does all the sorting  ;)
that looks like some addiction to spamming! :lol:

Please read the posts before replying. He wasn't talking about "sorting" files - unattended was the topic probably.

Girkers, welcome to MSFN forums! :hello:

Go for XPlode 1.00 (yes, a version older than 1.12).

Its stable, works without a problem on all (supported) OSes. Certainly, when there's some problem with your uA installs, you don't want to be left wondering whether the error was with your typos, or the app installer, or the post-installer (WPI/XPlode).

Atleast some of the variables should be trustable - a sort of "guarantee" that you won't see it causing problems by itself.