Recomendation of a good router for heavy use

cypher_soundz

At the moment i have a cheap router that handles 4 pc's, on a daily basis my router will crash (because of too many connections) this is due to server / p2p issues. Can you guys recomend a good router/swich that will handle a lot of connections? money is an issue but not a very large one ;) would buying a router / switch for more pcs be a solution? (say for 8 pcs?)

Regards

cyph

I use a D-Link too (704-P or something (4 ports)), but that one will crash too with to much download/upload P2P connections.

Try to look in the 100-200 US$ range, there are some good routers for heavy use. Also, I would use the router only for the firewall and DHCP server. After that it´s better to use a good switch.

Also, if you donwload much, why not buy a dual-LAN router from XiNCOM. That´s the next step for me B).

Hi,

Thanks for the replys , the dlink 608 is a hard one to find, i can find a review but no place to buy. I may put up with it for the mo and go for a dual-LAN router from XiNCOM then. i will definitely look in to it. Do you have any recomendadtions? cicso? dlink?

Regards

cyph

My router could be with an old rev. of the hardware. Some times it´s crashing with P2P software of ARES. Also mu provider isn´t the best one, but hey!, it´s Mexico :P.

Other than that, D-Link is nice for the price, that´s why I bought it ;) .

@ cypher_soundz,

Cisco is too expensive for "home" use. Try to buy a switch first to connect your computers to that one. Only use one port of the router to connect to that switch (It could help).

Try to find a DLink 604. The 704-(U)P has a LPT-printerserver in it if you like that (U for USB).

:)

PS. Linksys is also form Cisco... and why not order online? You are part of the USA so there are a lot online shops that will send it to you (newegg for example).

hehe never cud put the Professor's mubbles/"episode's" into words lol nice work ;)

My 3Com 3CRWE754G72-A used to reset alot when using alot of connections in p2p. I managed to update the firmware that solved the problem - think it was one of the latest firmware's avaliable for it (in case anyone has one and wants to know).

I know it sounds obvious and I'm sure you've already tried it, but have you visited the manufacturer's site for a firmware update?

I know the model I've got is buggy at best, but it cost me a cool £100 so it wasnt a cheap one - its not avaliable anymore but the newer model is meant to be nice 'n' stable - dont know the exact model offhand tho sorry.

Regards,

Nath.

Get something from USRobotics... they make very high quality routers that can hold up with a lot of data transfer.

My old Linksys used to crash all the time with Shareaza transfering... But now with this new USR one it hasn't crashed yet.

thanks for the replys, i have already upgraded the firmware, (from 1st revision to the latest ) there was no notes saying not to , but maybe such i big leap caused instability(i dont remember it crashing as much before the new firmware). so im gonig to try flashing back to the original and working my way up , they are all diffiernt sizes and the latest one is about 100K smaller than the 2nd to latest :blink: i will let you know if it fixed the issue.

Thanks again guys

Regards

cyph

I can recommend a good router that will only cost you an old computer and some hard work. You could try building your own router using IPCOP or Smoothwall that run on a dedicated computer and can actually run on a 486 (if you still have one). I'm testing it out in the next couple of days... but according to its users its pretty stable and should fix your problem.

I am using Di-804Hv without any problems. Try to DISABLE the Log service in a router can give that router longer life.

"The log file keeps a running log of events and activities occurring on the device. The log will display up to 200 recent logs in Di-804 and newer log activities will overwrite the older logs. It also can be set up to send the log files to a specific email address. "

The above statement will be too hard and add tons of rock to the router. My friend has a internet cafe near by me with 70 units of pc's. He used a GOOD Brand router with only 2 months and that router 'fried'!! :realmad: After he changed that router (same brand) with Log function Disable, his told me that his router works fine and smoothly until now (6 months++). :yes:

Hope this help.. :yes: