FireFox Help Needed!

indianarchie

I have recently started using mozilla firefox, and it works nicely...the only thing is..it does not store files in its cache ( i mean..firefox's temporary internet files folder) in an easily accessible manner. It stores each file without its extension, so you dont know what kind of file it is. Now this does not happen in IE or Opera..i can easily see the kind of files in their respective caches. My question is..is there any way i can make firefox store the cached files with their extensions intact...maybe there is some extension or plugin you can suggest?? please help me to find a way out because while browsing, if for example, i view a flash game, i want to be able to pick that file out of the cache later so i can again play it!

1. Why not just bookmark it?
Because i dont want to go online again to download something i have already seen before. This is necessary as i have a very slow and costy dial- up connection and i cant go online as and when i feel like it. :(
2. Why not head over to Firefox's forum and ask the experts there?

There is such a thing as the Firefox forum...?????? :wacko: Where!! can u gimme the site pls!

@indianarchie,

I use Firefox. It's not advisable to relocate your cache. Without the appropriate extension, it can only be done through about:config as MCT suggested. And even after you do that the files look the same.

To browse the files in the cache type about:cache in the address bar. If you're looking for a flash file search for .swf which is the extension for most shockwave flash files. When you find the file that you want, click on it and another page will come up with another link on it. Right click on that link and click Save Link As...

Hope it helps.

P. S. - If you have Adblock extension it will make this job much easier.

http://www.httrack.com/ anyone?

HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.

It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

Regards

cyph

http://www.httrack.com/ anyone?

HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.

It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.

Regards

cyph

cypher..is this utility compatible with FireFox?

its a standa lone program , you basically type in the URL and then downlaod what you want (.hmtl , .jpg , .gif ) you can exclude things as well like big files .exe etc .

then you have i tihkn what you want, an offline mirror of the onlnie one that you can downlaod.

Could you not just File save as... complete web page btw?

Regards

cyph