Picasa 2 Silent Install?

JPamplin

Guest tranceaddict_no1

It's indeed a nice piece of software. :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup You can browse through your pics very easily

I have 2 mention though that the switch /S performed on the installation copied from the programs dir worked for me. Just don't forget it's case sensitive

Yes it can be installed with the /S switch. But the problem is it starts the program after installation. That's why some people are having problem. :) I didn't try to install it using that switch though. :lol: That's why I decided to create the msi.

Guest tranceaddict_no1

Well ok.. I haven't tried it in my unattended install yet. I will first try that & if it causes problems for me 2 well then i'll have 2 download your msi installer.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picasa2 is one great app :thumbup

For thoso of you creating an WPI or want to install your profiles for Picasa2 they are located here:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google

Just create an rar exe file to copy them there during install, use the following comment:

Path=%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google
Silent=2
Overwrite=1

:)

Ummmmmmmmmmm

I think I'll soon dump the crappy ACDsee 7.0! :P:)

Hehehe.. That's what I did several months ago. :P

Although I must admit that ACDSee has more features than this.. But I don't use all of them, thats why Picasa is good enough for me. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@totoymola

I've had a few problems with using your .msi. The main/only problem being that after installing uAXP and them calling your msi from RunOnceEx, it all installs fine. However after the first reboot my CD drive dissapered from My Computer and could not be accessed anyother way. This occured on both a VM machine and a real computer.

I've gone back to using the /S switch and

cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM Picasa2.exe
TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM PicasaMediaDetector.exe

del %0

to kill of Picasa when it tries to start itself after installing, also stopped it from opening IE, by not having IE and having no defualt browser setup during the install so it can't open the picasa webpage

Sheesh.. I'm so sorry about that.. Odd because that never happened to me. Thanks for letting me know.

By the way, I'm just curious. Are you sure it is really caused by the Picasa msi? Because I do not remember using a registry entry to alter the HD/CD drives.

About your method of silent installation, yes that works fine. That was our very first solution of installing it.

You can also try another approach here.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=22697&st=0

:)

Yep I'm 99.9% sure, as it stopped once I stopped using the .MSI, it was the last thing I suspected. I even rebuilt my uACD from sctrach to see if that made a difference. Soon as I stopped using the MSI the problem went away. Maybe it was conflicting with something else that I installed, maybe not. Thanx for your effort, but I'll stick with the old way for now :)

@toyotomola:

using your MSI, I still get the picasa loading up in the systray even boot-up. can you stop that for your next msi?

Just set this reg entry in after the silent picasa

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"Picasa Media Detector"=-

heres how i set mine

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Picasa 2

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Picasa2.msi /qn

ECHO.

ECHO Now Removing Picasa 2 Media Detect From Auto start up...

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\picasa_disable.reg

Edited by kC_