Windows Home or Pro?

matrix0978

Pro has somewhat better memory management

Pro has the exact same memory management as Home. There are absolutely no differences between the two in that department.

However, Pro does have more security features then Home.

I prefer Pro because I use Remote Desktop a lot and Home does not have that feature.

• 3 weeks later...

I must have the pro version!!! I hate the Home verson, Pro is more stable and has less weird problems - I think Tarun is right about the Memory management, even though Microsoft says there is no difference. :rolleyes:

If running a network, Playing games, or need the extra Security, GET PRO! ;)

Just some things to point out:

Pro can handle Multi-tasking better - cause it fully supports Dual CPU's. (Hyperthreading too)

Supports more memory - networking, Gameing

Has more overall features.

Here is a complete List, I found on the Web:

Home vs Pro Guide

If anybody wants my opinion (which doesn't seem to be worth anything), I would get Home.

It is true that the Pro version offers some minor additions, but contrary to what you people were talking about, both Home and Pro can handle hyperthreading. Home cannot handle multiple processors, but if you have more than one processor, then I suggest Linux, because then you have a server.

Home runs the same exact kernel as Pro, but to do some advanced stuff, like OS encryption support, you might need to dig around deeper in Home than in Pro. You still have to dig pretty deep in Pro.

To put it in comparison, I've been using Home and been multitasking just fine. With all the freeware available on the web, all the features of the Pro version can be replaced using these tools and the Home version.

Please don't waste your money on Pro if you are only going to use your computer at home. The only reason in which I foresee one using Pro over Home is in a corporate environment, where the "Home" logo and start bar side are not tolerated. Trust me, if you know you need Pro, then you should get it. If you are debating (which is what I'm seeing), then you don't know if you need all the features of Pro, and probably won't need them.

Conclusion, get Home.

In my country the difference between Home and Pro version is 75€ = $96.

I find not even a single advantage of using Pro version instead of the Home one at home...

Like someone said, if you plan to use it on a company with active directory (domain) then the PRO version is a must. But for home use, in a network "in a workgroup" i see no differences between the Pro and Home.

Thoose who said that Pro crashes less than Home... That's just imagination :D