No video playback with MCE 2005

I have a toshiba p10 laptop that originally came with MCE 2004 and I have

since upgraded to 2005. I cannot get any video playback. If you drag and make

the window bigger and smaller it will show the video as slong as you do this.

Mos of the time its just black.

I have new Nvidia decoder , new cyberlink decoder, they are noth MCE and

MP10 Compatable. I am running Nvidia 66.83 drivers. And have a Nvidia geforce

fx go5600 graphics card in it.

You can play dvds on powerdvd , but they dont play on MCE and no live video

or recorded video play back.

Thanks for you help

Angie

• 2 months later...

I've got the exact same issue and I've got a toshiba P20. Coincidence? I think not!

Read lots of posts regarding this issue and none seem to fix this issue. Uninstalled, reinstalled, MCE, DVD codecs with no success. Called Toshiba and they say,"Go back to 2004 since we don't support 2005". Useless jerks!

If you find the cure. Let me know?

My next call will be with MS.

TX. But I've already done that. MCE comes with SONIC decoder and I removed it and installed Cyberlink Power DVD. Used DECCHECK from MS to see if it was comptatible and all is green.

Any other suggestions?

next i would try a fresh install of MCE 2004 use the toshiba restore disks to put it back then use the upgrade cd to upgrade to MCE 2005. then install your codecs etc. if that fails then i would say that its your software your using. i used nvdia dvd decoder with klite codec pack and that workers great.

I've just re-installed MCE 2004 and will try upgrading once again to 2005 without any of the Toshiba updates.

BTW: I had re-installed once again with the same issue. I also had installed the Nvida DVD codecs with no luck. It produced the same problems. Audio but no video. Video only if you resize the MCE window. There may be a video setting that has to be changed. Ive tried several variations, such as resolution etc.. without any luck.

Toshiba P20. Was bought w/ MCE 2004 preinstalled. Has 3.2Gh P4 with 64 MB Nvidia Go5200. Sweeeeeet! Rocks w/ 2004. But I'm a tenatious dude. Got to be something that can be done!

I upgraded from 2004 and still doesn't work. Installed a new codec and removed overlay from Media 10. Used DECCHECK to ensure compatibility. All green check marks. Still No go. Anymore suggestions....?

i have a question for anybody who could help it would be great.

i installed mce 2005 and all went well, till i tried to watch live tv.

the sound skips on me for about one tenth of a second every 1min or so.

i've updated all drives and tried (powerdvd 6, windvd 6).

tried sound setting on directX 9.0c.

stopped my start up menu from run to stop any conficts.

i don't know what it could be causing it.

help

system:p4 3.0ghz , nvidia fx 5200 128mb, 512 ram, sound blaster live 24bit, 80g hard drive

I got MCE 2005 running on an ATI 9700 PRO AIW and everything works properly - so yes Virginia, it can be done.

All those codecs may be the problem. If you're recording live TV all you need is a DVD decoder.

All I'm running is NVIDIa DVD decoder. Checks all green check marks on DECCHECK. How'd you get yours to work? Any special settings or did it magically work from the beggining.

Gripe sesssion ugh!:

I'm seeing more and more threads with the same issues as I'm getting. If you ask me, and any other who's system is less than a year old that is trying to upgrade to 2005 and not succesful, MS screwed up big time and just too lazy to fix this issue. Don't get me wrong, I think their product, at least 2004 rocks. Obviously, if your MCE 2005 is working, you ain't going to subscribe to what I'm saying. They didn't make it backwords compatible and I'm not talking win 95 on a 486 folks. The system, as previously mentioned, is a p4 3.2 GHz with 512 MB ram and 64 MB video card. I'm in the near 5% most powerful home pc here in the world. Soooooooo. If my system were at least 3 years old, I'd be wanting to upgrade anyhow. But since it's around a year old....Don't think so Tim...

As a customer, I aren't (grammer implied) impressed with their coding.

Not impressed with Toshiba (I've got a Satellite P20-Canadian label not found on the US site) since they have new systems that are running the 2005 version and haven't at least tried to help out their customers either.

But hey, don't just take it from me.

And yes I'm jealous of those of you who have 2005 working.

"I f.rt in your general direction";-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have got the exact same problem. When I keep resizing my window the video will play, but as soon as I stop I get a black screen.

Has somebody found a solution for this yet?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the P20 with the GeForce Go 5700 onboard. MCE2005 does work but you need to go badger nvidia for an updated release of the video (vga) driver. They may push you back to Tosh but it does work!! nvidia NVDVD decoder is the one I use btw.