RIS INSTALL OEMPnPDrivers via Server

Just wondering if this can be achieved.

Instead of having OemPnPDriversPath="drivers\chipset\intel;drivers\chipset\nvidia"

Have something like this

OemPnPDriversPath=\\servername\path\drivers\chipset\intel"

Thereby speeding up the installation as you wouldn't have to copy the driver folder onto the pc. The PC would then check the server for the correct driver.

Can anyone shed any light on this.

It's been a while since I did any RIS work but I'm pretty sure that the network layer isn't up at the time windows setup looks for driver files. I think you can include custom directories that should be copied to the client machine during the download, that way you just point OemPnPDriversPath their location on the client PC during setup. The only other way would be to build a custom drivers.cab.

Thats a shame, i thought seen as it was talking to the RIS server had grabbed an ip via DHCP from boot. And at that early stage its transferring files and communicationg with it that i could somehow include a share on the server that the host pc could see.

Thanks anyways...

Take a look at BTS's driver pack discusion thread. In there I descibe how I 7-zip all of my drivers and use DetachedProgram to decompress them at T-39. I also use this method with RIS. This way I'm moving 1 file that's close to 100MB instead of thousands of files totaling more than 340MB. It works too, been using this method for about 6 weeks now.

• 7 months later...