4 all: do u login into xp as admin. or user?

jayc021

i wanted to know how ya log into xp, cause i noticed when u log in as admin. it takes longer to finish loading cause of the admin tools and stuff. i hate that cause i think xp is done loading when its not then i gotta wait 4 it to finish then i could use my pc. if i was to setup a new user, can i set it up to be able to install/uninstall;delete;install drivers;etc. without it being a admin. account? cause i only see u can make a admin. and a limited user.

an admin user doesnt take as long to log in as administrator does, but has basicly all the same rights.[/quote:5165d3962c]

Isnt this the same thing...Way confusing..?

A sec or 2 exptra isnt goping to kill anyone waiting, as a matter of fact XP loads preety fast, depending on your CPU and setup.You can not install or delete unless you give admin privalgies to the user, Youll still be back where you started. Pantience, Lifes not going anywhere

-Chris

tip:

we all know that unbranded ram is crap, however on some systems it will run fine (ive found that pc100 ram even unbranded stuff is ok so long as the dimm is no bigger than 128mb)

ive never used unbranded ram on my own system but the deals on ebuyer got too tempting, as i was ordering some ram for someone else i thought id give it a try, the pc100 128 works fine for the friend i bought it for and his pc loads XP much much faster now. i got 256mb pc133 and my pc is slower than his celeron with it in... definately going back to ebuyer!! cheap yes... but not much point putting ram in if it does the opposite of what its supposed to dammit :mad:

with the decent stuff in XP boots up, as administrator, in under 60seconds and loads the admin account when i log in in under 20 ... whats the big deal?!? it would take win98 3minutes LOL

also.. i still sometimes get zonealarm locking access to the net.. much rarer now though, sometimes you can log out and log in again and it loads ok second time, when the welcome screen loads after booting the pc if you wait a moment the pc will load more stuff from your HDD and (on my system anyway) the floppy drive is checked. [b:2f1278a98c]THEN[/b:2f1278a98c] its safe to login. bit of an extra wait but hey.. who turns their computer off anyway since they got xp? lol this thing is only rebooted if it needs to be for an install, or once a week it gets shut off for a short rest.

i was asking cause, well when i turn on my pc, it does boot up fast, which everyone likes, and since im the only one using this pc it loads into windows w/o me entering a password, so when i get it to boot up to the desktop i noticed its not fully done loading everything up, cause when i open up outlook to check my email, it doesnt open up as quickly as it does after an hour of it beening on, i would have to wait till i see the light from my floppy light up then thats when i know its done loading everything up. any suggestions on how i can have it load everything up faster or should i make a extra account with administrator privalgies to it?

It took 5 min....WTF....I think it takes a total of 30-45 sec from the first time I touch the power button till XP is completly loaded and ready for use. Wow man sound like a hardware upgrade would be better for you in the future.

-Chris

im not sure if its the stuff loading up after i finished installing all my software cause when i install xp it took the most a minute to finishin loading and ready 4 me to use but when i installed everything i use, i noticed it takes longer, so i checked to see what loads up i noticed i have 5 "svchost.exe loading up, not sure what that is though. i shutdown every software that doesnt need to load up like aol;aim;msn;etc and still takes a long. i dont think its my hardware cause 98se took me less time to load.

my hardware is:

abit kt7-r

amd tbird 1ghz

512mb ram

hercules geforce ddr

linksys 10/100 networkcard

soundblaster live!

2x 20gig western digital 7200rpm raid to 40gig raid 0

1x 15 western digital 7200rpm

acer cdr

iomega 100mb zip drive internal

and i d/led all the lastest drivers for all of them

5 miutes sheesh .!!!

After my computer has scanned the ATA100 / Raid, I can log in to XP in about 30 seconds !!! Then it takes like 9 seconds to log me in and I can start working right away !!!

Thunderbird 1.4, etc etc

• 2 months later...

Like i said in another thread, takes me 5 seconds to boot up and READY in Administrator mode.

With Windows 2000 Microsoft recommended not to use Administrator accounts for everyday usage because of the simple fact if you get hacked you lose the whole system.

But... i found it really annoying to log in as admin to install a program, so i use Admin.

You could always use either fast user switching (if not on a domain and if you have fast user switching enabled) or RUNAS for the installs. Just a thought.

In WinXP I've kind of relaxed and allowed purely personal systems (no critical data) to be all admin users but have kept even my personal use (except when configuring the system) on the restricted user account on critical boxes. Since I've been too lazy to investigate yet, has anyone played with the other user account types by using "control userpasswords2" from the Start | Run dialog?

- Collin