Main difference between 2k and 2k3 ?

Fran

Hi, first of all I would like to say hello to everyone who visit this thread, and like you're looking amd new here. My question is "what is the difference between 2k and 2k3?" Now I've W2k SP4 on a P3 1Ghz with 256mb and a 30gb hd. Is this enough for 2k3 ? I don't like XP it still to buggie for me. Well, I think its all for now. Thanks =)

2k3, has better networking & has theme support + core improvements

u could try nlite'ing it to make it quicker :) also, if i were u, i wouldnt run it on a p3, unless it was like 1.3Ghz w/ 512MB ram or more :P

Yes, I've seen that post before, but my main question is if a p3 will be enough for a w2k3 and if a HUGE difference for a workstation in a 2k from a 2k3 ?

Just add a bit more RAM, and you're good to go ... and there is a significant difference between w2k and w2k3

w2k3 if run as a workstation is basicly win xp with no service pack.

=>proper wireless lan support is missing (no wpa) for example

another big minus imho is the lack of the fast user switching capability. ( =you have to log out in order for another user to log on )

also, some applications (ie. norton antivirus 200x) dont run on w2k3. you need the corporate verson of the software.

im sure that there are many slight improvements under the hood, but i dont think youll notice it if you use w2k3 as a workstation.

at least the wireless lan support is improved in SP1, but thats still beta.