When Longhorn comes you take it or

xper

I can't see what there is to take. It's XP with a different skin. FS is out, Avalon is out... everything seems to have been dumped. They even had to rebuild the thing from XP again not that long ago because they couldn't get everything to work. All I've seen so far in the 5xxx builds is transparent glass-like window frames (system resource hog), virtual folders (going to screw up my collections and confuse people) and various things having been moved around, such as that action bar thing in my computer being moved to the bottom. The search doesn't seem to be all that different to me.

The only thing I like the sound of is vector based icons - but why wasn't this implemented earlier? And why has it taken them so long to work out Apple knows best?

MS just seems to be moving away from where I see OSs. I just want something lightweight and powerful, without wizards, eye candy and suchlike, that I can use. Hence why many people still like 98se. Yet Longhorn (I refuse to call it Vista as I don't think it is *nearly* ready for a proper advertising name) just seems to be aesthetics all the way. Whilst I will be getting it when it comes out, it iwll be for testing purposes only. This will not grace any of my PCs as a primary OS until I see some advantages - ie, until they release WinFS, or something else worthwhile as a patch... or the next OS after Longhorn.

If anyone hasn't heard the last "this WEEK in TECH" podcast their spin is more towards that Vista is the next Windows Millenium edition.

If you want to hear it I believe it is episode 14.

_http://thisweekintech.com/