When Longhorn comes you take it or

xper

All those who say they won't use it until SP1, I spose that's alright, but at least help in beta testing.

If your excuse is that it will be full of bugs, then definatly help in beta testing. That way you know it should be right at least for what you do with it and how you use it.

It's easy to sit back and critise about it, but will you go the distance and help Microsoft when they give you the chance instead of accusing them of making buggy software and using that crappy M$ stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

I would leave it , there are better Os'es like ARos that doesent drain system resources

Till then i Stick to 98lite micro Unless someone removes the **** laggy Iecore code from the shell in XP

No to lagging systems just cause comps get better shouldnt mean that we gladly would accept badly coded OS'es

i  Stick to 98lite micro Unless someone removes the **** laggy Iecore code from the shell in XP

Has already been done. Check out nLite.
It's easy to sit back and critise about it, but will you go the distance and help Microsoft when they give you the chance instead of accusing them of making buggy software and using that crappy M$ stuff?

You're forgetting that "crappy M$" is getting paid for what they do. That should be reason enough to excuse myself out of the chance of being a guinea pig for them.

What you're saying makes sense in the context of free (open-source) software since everyone has a shared interest in seeing that the end product is good because no single person owns it, or takes all the credit. But not in the case of MS where I already do my part of the deal (by paying the price they demand) - its perfectly logical to expect that they keep up their part of the deal (by delivering if not on expectations, atleast on promises made).

:rolleyes: i dont like the idea of needing to upgrade hardware to use longhorn when will it ever end **** u bill but like the guy above the anti spyware and ie 7 looks promising but at what cost the average ham &egger still harping bout xp costing coin .it worth a look if your a guy thats on top of latest tech stuff perhaps the reviews after the final release will shed light on this remember when xp was in beta the diehard 98se folks panned it say it was fluff will it wasnt xp proved 2 be a great os but time will tell i only feel bad that folk with no cash cant incorparate any of the anti spyware or even ie 7 what a scam that is oh well bill needs to feed the kids..lol

I am pretty sure graphics card update will be a must. If you read the WGF 2.0 specs that Longhorn will be compatible with it becomes more and more obvious that to get the most out of the OS you will need the new hardware.

I think also on a different note Longhorn will be delayed again. It probably wont come out till 2007. Just a hunch.

I am building a PC at the minute, so do you you think I should buy the recommended specs for my PC, in order to get Longhorn when it comes out?

Here are Microsoft's Longhorn hardware recommendations:

Desktop CPU: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor with HyperThreading Technology 530 (or higher) or 3 GHz Intel Xeon processor with 2 MB L2 cache, or AMD Athlon 64, Sempron, or Opteron 100, 200, or 800 processor, single or dual-core versions.

Mobile CPU: 1.86 GHz Intel Pentium M processor 750 (or higher), or AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology, Mobile Sempron, or Mobile Athlon 64 processor.

RAM: 512 MB of RAM or more, all platforms.

Longhorn Client release to manufacturing (RTM)

May 24, 2006 (Expected)

Source

So make sure you get the latest, fastest & the greatest. I beleive the hardware requirements shown above is just a hint of whats coming our way. The best thing to do would be to wait a little longer.

do you you think I should buy the recommended specs for my PC, in order to get Longhorn when it comes out?

It will necessarily be impossible to do that. Do you think anything that you buy today will be remotely at the top of the chain 2 years down the line?

When Windows XP was released, the recommended requirements mentioned for it was:

To install, your computer must have a CD-ROM drive or Internet connection and meet the following minimum requirements:

• 233 megahertz (MHz) processor

• 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM

• 1.8 GB of available hard disk space during installation

On that kind of config if you really install and run XP, you are either very brave or very foolish. Today you know that to let XP run in any sort of decent manner, you need 4x the recommendation.

Similarly it will be with longhorn too. Don't fool yourself into believing that anything at all you buy today will run longhorn decently when it releases. Just build your PC on a budget, and be happy. When longhorn comes, upgrade.

I' won't install longhorn right away. I will be afraid of security vulnerabilities for at least the first year. The licensing sounds ugly and I might never accept it. Also I don't want the OS to drain away my system resources.

FYI my favorite OS right now is win 98se which runs like a dream with 1 GB ram and 0.5 GB swap partition.

I agree, but I also like Windows 2000 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
do you you think I should buy the recommended specs for my PC, in order to get Longhorn when it comes out?

It will necessarily be impossible to do that. Do you think anything that you buy today will be remotely at the top of the chain 2 years down the line?

When Windows XP was released, the recommended requirements mentioned for it was:

To install, your computer must have a CD-ROM drive or Internet connection and meet the following minimum requirements:

On that kind of config if you really install and run XP, you are either very brave or very foolish. Today you know that to let XP run in any sort of decent manner, you need 4x the recommendation.

Similarly it will be with longhorn too. Don't fool yourself into believing that anything at all you buy today will run longhorn decently when it releases. Just build your PC on a budget, and be happy. When longhorn comes, upgrade.

Those were the minimum requirements BTW not the recommended and they were for Sp2

System Requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 2

Published: August 20, 2004

To install the service pack, your computer must have a CD-ROM drive or Internet connection and meet the following minimum requirements: