best gaming setup?

seraph00

I was curious if people would be willing to post their preferred best gaming configuration setups? Meaning, the absolute best setup for gaming? Which OS or combination of OS's for getting nearly garunteed support for playing oldschool DOS and 16-bit M$ Windows games, all the way up through supporting the playing of the most top of the line games out today? Which additional software would do you install and/or use for gaming? What services and other system items do you disable for your best gaming hardware and software profile? Ever been able to accomplish the near impossible feat of being able to play DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 9.x, Windows NT, MacOS, and Linux games all on the same system? If so, what OS, software and settings did you use to get that awesome uber setup?

get the best & fastest hardware components... then checkout http://www.blackviper.com for disabling the services.

also disable the unused start-up items.

if u play old dos games multi-boot with win98 if u're not satisfied with xp's compatibility..

as for linux & macos games, i don't think there are many of them unless u're talking about the solitaire kind of games that they have... if so i'm sure there are emulators..

not going to talk about hardware...get the best out there, fastests processor, fastest ram etc..

to get a true dos games emulation, you would also need some way of reducing the pc's speed. Since the old games were designed to run on a 12Mhz machine.. that all singing all dancing AMD64 3500+ suddenly is too fast !!!!! :w00t:

So your quest will continue... either that or find an old 286 for running the DOS games....

• 2 weeks later...

Get an xbox and hack it, thats how I play all my old DOS games. Its fun. You can even add a keyboard and mouse, or just use the gamepad which is suprisingly comfortable and easy to use for mouse and keyboard based games. C&C Red Alert is fun on xbox