multi-boot/install older OS questions

seraph00

Hi, thanks for all the great info and guides posted on these forums and on the multi-boot website. Looks great from what i've read so far.

I'm working on trying to get a set of multi-boot CD's put together(since I am a poor college student and don't have the cash to buy a DVD burner or DVD blanks).

I would like to have the first disk contain DOS 6.22, DOS 7.1, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, Windows 95(the version that supports usb and includes Plus!95 built into the install files, and Windows98SE(again the version that has the plus! pack built into the install files).

If there is room, i'd be interested in putting Windows Me on the disk as well, but that might be pushing it for CD space. That, and well I never really liked or got much in the way of good use out of Windows Me. The 2nd CD i'd like to have multi-boot between Windows 2000 Pro(with service pack 4 slipstreamed), and Windows XP Pro(with Service pack 1a slipstreamed). I would like to eventually add a copy of Windows 2000 Server, but I don't think space limits on CD's would allow it as of yet.

If possible, i'd also like assistance with figuring out how to add a few basic freeware/open-source tools to the boot CD. Most specificly a command line capable anti-virus program with good trojan detection, as well as a adware/spyware cleaning program.

Getting a command line and/or gui set of tools for running a diagnostic program, a registry checking/cleaning/repairing/backup program, and possibly a file system(scandisk-like)error checking/repairing program. A efficient disk defrag program, and disk partitioning program would be a nice touch as well, but its a work in progress. I just need some assistance getting started in the right direction.

Now, granted, I would be more than happy, if someone who did own a DVD burner would be willing to burn me a copy of an all-in-one Windows bootable disk. I do have actual copies of each Microsoft OS to date, other than Longhorn and Windows Server 2003., but I don't have a use for either as of yet. But I don't see myself as getting that lucky, so i'll make do using a few CD-R's instead for the time being.

However, once I have a DVD burner, I would much like to make an all-in-one DVD-R. If its possible, I'd like to make one that includes DOS 6.22, DOS 7.1, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, Windows 95 w/plus! and usb, Windows 98SE w/plus!, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Pro(service pack 4 streamed), and Windows XP Pro(Service pack 1a streamed). If there is a way to get the XP Plus! combo pack in there somehow, that would be awesome(the one that is Plus! for XP and Plus! Digital Media Edition in one installer). I already have on CD the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows(made by a different project than those who make the DOS-esque Ultimate Boot Disk). It has a great set of freeware tools, and is built with Bart PE, simply with the minor difference of changing to using all free or open source utilities instead of commercial ones. I'd love to get that mixed in on the DVD somewhere as well.

So unless I get lucky and someone wants to be nice *puppy dog eyes* and shoot me off a DVD-R with all that already setup on it, I'd appreciate advice and assistance with getting something along these lines setup on CD-R's. Thanks for any time and advice anyone is willing to give.

You may get away with the first disk, but unless you create Lite versions of W2K and XP, you will not fit them both onto one cd - certainly not slipstreamed with hotfixes and service packs.

Traditionally, the X-in-1 cds have focussed on one core OS and added variants, e.g. W2K Pro, Server and Advanced Server. The reason is that because of the commonality of files in each distro, optimisation can be used by e.g. cdimage.exe. This optimisation removes duplicate files and replaces them with a pointer, thus compressing 1.5GB into less than 700MB.

W2k and XP do not share enough common code to make optimisation work.

When you do get yout DVD burner (<50$), I would recommend CDShell with BCDW plugin to do the multiboot work. Both products come with excellent example scripts to modify.