Can I make an nLite boot CD for Win 98SE ?

underpass

There is a version of nlite that works with Windows 98, 98SE, and ME, its affectionately called 98lite. However, it is, at least as far as I can tell, not designed to be run with an install, but rather installed at a later point. There is also a unofficial service pack for Win98SE that is out that contains all the existing patches, fixes, etc for Win98SE other than updates for Internet Explorer, Media Player, etc. It is quite nice, and even fixes the 512MB RAM limit error that some builds of 98 have. It was not designed by Microsoft, but it can be found on the net for free download in a variety of places.

For myself, as well as several other people that use this service pack, the install of Win98 with 98lite is usually something as follows.

1. Install Win98SE

2. Install any missing/needed/updated device drivers

3. Install the current release of Internet Explorer

4. Download and install any fixes/patches for IE from Windowsupdate

5. Install the newest release of Direct X that your video card supports

6. Install the Win98 "unofficial" service pack

7. Install 98lite

Depending on personal taste, some people switch the order of a few of these options, but I find this order works well for my uses. Since every Windows since 95 has had a dependancy on certain IE and DirectX files being in place and properly updated, it works well. This order gets those files on your system, and applies all of the fixes from the service pack. Then gives you the chance to slim down 98 using 98lite.

There is a demo you can download of 98lite as well as a demo for Win2k/WinXPlite. Unfortunately, it is severely gimped to only offering a minor selection of the huge amount of choices the full version offers.

Note: It is possible to break the integration of IE from Win98, 98SE, and Me, and it is even possible to uninstall it. 98lite offers that feature. However, be careful of doing this, due to the fact that certain key functions of Windows can depend on various IE components to function properly. As is recommended by the company that makes 98lite and 2k/Xplite, always backup before using a major configuration overhaul utility, and make changes one at a time, so you can test them out and be able to track down errors or bugs. If you change everything all at once with 98lite or similar software you can make many parts of your OS cease to function and have no clue which thing you changed that caused the error.