Windows 2k/2k3 RIS Servers

codejunkie

Sorry for the delay in the reply but I've been off work for a week.

We had the same problem with the firewall on XP sp2.

We over come this by running a reg file with these settings. I hope this helps

;Disable Firewall Service

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess]

"Start"=dword:00000004

;Disable Security center

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center]

"AntiVirusDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001

"FirewallDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001

"FirstRunDisabled"=dword:00000001

"UpdatesDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc]

"Start"=dword:00000004

Taggs

...and following on from Taggs's post, you can disable it via GP (Group Policy) if you have updated the adm templates of the 2003 server.

Let me know if you want to do this - I'm not at work right now otherwise I'd let you know about this and which part of the GP alters this (tho I'm sure someone can step up to this task before me hehe)

Regards,

N.

Well I finally figured out the problem with autoparitioning while installing Windows from RIS. Anyway, place the following code inside your answer file (remboot.sif)

[RemoteInstall]
   Repartition=No
   UseWholeDisk=No

Once setup is started it will stop at the point where you should partition our hard drive. Once you finish with partitioning, setup will continue.

I still however didn't figure out how to let setup generate computer names other than after username. My computers are called after department they're placed in. If you know how to do this, please share it with me. :)

Hi folks..

If the troubble is that u can "only" use the prementioned / preconfigured naming standards that are included with RIS (as in MAC address / %username% and so on) but there is a need to have a more generic solution to it then....

a power feature of the RIS implementation is the .soc files: these are basically html files which one can self write custom .osc screens. By having a .osc screen with a "input" box in it (for example: variable ACTIVATIONCODE) could be handled in this textmode by %ACTIVATIONCODE%. The generic action handled by this variable could then be read in, for example GuiRunOnce by a script to place the computer in the correct OU in AD at once with no manual hands on. It will definitly help when providing a custom naming standard outside the MS naming standard provided with RIS.

I combine the solution of custom written .osc screens with prestaged object to handle installation from a webb site for the helpdesk personal instead of the AD MMC ( cuz then they could mess up my lovely AD ;) )

Or... you could just go into Active Directory, browse to your RIS server and turn on the method of naming PCs to prompt you. Sure, configuring the OSC screens will do the same thing, but it was already available to you. Configuring OSC screens will allow you to do more than you could imagine. You can pass variables from the OSC screens all the way to the registry. I was told by Microsoft, after sitting on the phone with them for hours, that this was impossible, but I figured out how... :)

Or...  you could just go into Active Directory, browse to your RIS server and turn on the method of naming PCs to prompt you.  Sure, configuring the OSC screens will do the same thing, but it was already available to you.  Configuring OSC screens will allow you to do more than you could imagine.  You can pass variables from the OSC screens all the way to the registry.  I was told by Microsoft, after sitting on the phone with them for hours, that this was impossible, but I figured out how...  :)

True... I had the same discussion with M$ regarding this matter which turned out to be true. Then again I really must say that these things can realy turn RIS into an unattended trip for most admins using RIS compared with the out of the box solution from MS.

If one prestages a comp i AD and hook a code(password) that will make it unique onto the object, one can really chill after the implementation when it comes to deploying large scales of clients with RIS.

Sausage eater out for a bratwurst...

Well, after posting that, I figured I would probably get the question.. "How!?" So, here...

You need to understand a little about how RIS works. During the CIW all variables collected are passed to the SIF file. Your SIF file, with the variables filled in, is then uploaded to the server to a temporary location. The PC will begin copying files over and then reboot. During setup, the PC will recontact the server and download the updated SIF file that it copied there earlier... So, how do you pass variables that you can't put anywhere? Simple. You use the registry. By simply placing the following...

REG ADD HKLM\Software\Unattend /v Key_Name /t REG_SZ /d %variablename%

in your [GuiRunOnce]

Later you can use REG QUERY to pull your values. There you go.

I was able to setup custom OSC files and prompt for installation of certain programs and versions of programs. I was able to even go to the extent of allowing one to select a employee position and it install specific software for that user. RIS is completely configurable using the methods I detailed. I hope this helps you.

Go and install a IIS 6.0, get a virtual dir, upload a .osc that fits into ur environment and create a http link for it. The webby should of course try to prestage an account into ur AD with a password linked to it. Publish the webb for ur adidas helpdesk pepz so they can create computers... then, ppl can install their comps just specifying their password and "the scripts" will take care of the rest for u.

Nice 1 link for how it could work/look below:

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~etbain/RIS_Notes.html

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there are almost unlimited possibilities with RIS. To be honest, I didn't know this ... anyway I can see that there are many resources for RIS spread arrond on the Internet, and I can see that there is a lot of people on this forum with potential for RIS as well as other technologies, so, I have a suggestion ... I was thinking to establish a new web page for RIS and unattended windows isntallation, possibly WUS and other MS technologies as well with many but really many tutorials, so if these really experienced gurus are interested in sharing their knowledge to others, just let me know, I'll set up a portal in no time :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have am having trouble with TFTP.

have RIS setup and authorized in DHCP.

The current configuration is RIS is on server and DHCP is on another they are on one subnet. Have clients are on another subnet they get a IP address during PXE booting but then I get TFTP open time out message.

I have checked the switches and they allow fastport etc…

Can you please help me troubleshoot this

Thanks

• 3 years later...

hi

I am having the same issue with the TFTP pxe Error

see quite a few posts around the web but havnt found a solution yet.

the RIS server and the DHCP are on the same subnet but different servers,

no routers in between them and prospective machine,

60 66 67 are checked and well yer bit stumped.

Any thoughts appreciated

Best thing to do is to get a network trace from the server (and if possible, the client via a hub) and see what is actually happening on the wire - is the DHCP server giving out the right options, and is the client parsing/using the option correctly?