Firsttimer, SP1, a few Qs

Hello there.

I'm totally new to the whole idea of unattended installs.

I was told to stop whining about my neverending formats, and get an unattended version instead. So here I am, new and frustrated.

Basically, I want to fix a CD that installs windows with the answers in the .sif, install drivers, and that's it.

Too bad I cant understand a bloody thing when it comes to batch commands and such.

I get the idea of how it works. But I am too afraid of doing more harm than good, and I've never really configured any install myself. I guess I'm just the typical lazy Windows user.

So here's my questions in general:

1. Is it possible to use SP1 instead of SP2, would it be any difference in the steps?

(since i really dislike SP2, i wouldn't even think of installing it on my machine ever again)

2. When using unattended install, would the install automaticly format the drive before installing any windows components/other applications?

3. Would the windows installer install the components it could recognize from the driver.cab file if i had not made any changes in the C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers path?

4. Is there any pre-configured answer files and commandbatches available for newbies like me?

Thanks alot for your time and help, I appreciate it alot.

PS. My spelling and English knowledge might be a bit ridiculous, since in Swedish. And I'm goddamn tired. Bedtime, cheers.

1. Is it possible to use SP1 instead of SP2, would it be any difference in the steps?
Same stuff. Just follow the guide http://unattended.msfn.org/ The only difference is the number of Critical Hotfixes required for SP1 (around 30)
2. When using unattended install, would the install automaticly format the drive before installing any windows components/other applications?

Only if you want to. There is some option about that in the winnt.sif file. Just follow the guide http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/reference.htm

3. Would the windows installer install the components it could recognize from the driver.cab file if i had not made any changes in the C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers path?
I'm not sure I fully understand your question but Windows installation is looking into \$OEM$\$1\Drivers\ and if it cannot find a suitable drivers, it will do just as usual (unknown device or Microsoft .cab drivers)
4. Is there any pre-configured answer files and commandbatches available for newbies like me?
Guess what? Just follow the guide http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/examples.htm

Now, are you gonna take a look at the guide BEFORE posting anything else?

can I make a suggestion? Go with SP2, then use nlite (there must be a dozen links around for it) to remove the firewall and security center crap. You get the updates without the bullcr@p ;) I've never had a single issue with this method.

Thanks for the answers guys. I have read it all through now, at last.

Sorry for jumping straight into the forums :/

I tried to compile my own .iso with th C:\XPCD after doing some minor changes in the answer file, and it actually worked!

I mounted it in VMware and the installation went on, though i had to manually install it into the 4GB big virtual disk.

So i guess this can be skipped by simply adding the 'Reformating' options into the answer file, I'll have a deeper look into that before posting anything more.

I'm thinking of just including the drivers on the CD rather than getting into auto-driver-install, It seems too hard.

Thanks again