how to get some icons to always hide?

in regedit goto

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Run msconfig to see the name of the program that you want to disable on start-up. You can also see the registry location there, as MCT said.

For example, if I want to disable Yahoo Messenger from my start-up, this is my code.

REM THIS WILL DISABLE YAHOO! PAGER ON START-UP

REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN /V "YAHOO! PAGER" /F

Tray Saver

TraySaver is an advanced system tray management utility for Windows 95/98/NT. It gives you a more compact & manageable taskbar by allowing you to hide system tray icons. Tray icons can be moved into a separate floating window, which can then be moved around or hidden as you please. In addition, TraySaver rescues tray icons lost after an Explorer crash, and enables any window to be minimized to the system tray.

Run msconfig to see the name of the program that you want to disable on start-up.  You can also see the registry location there, as MCT said.

For example, if I want to disable Yahoo Messenger from my start-up, this is my code.

REM THIS WILL DISABLE YAHOO! PAGER ON START-UP

REG DELETE HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN /V "YAHOO! PAGER" /F

Cool! I was searching for a way to disable the stuff I found in msconfig startup tab. :thumbup

...for Windows 95/98/NT...

have you tried this on WinXP?

Yes it does work in xp but I couldn't get it to display the floating window but you could hide and show things from the menu anyway.

Also I haven't tried to do it unattended. I think it is possible though.