Programs that don't need to be installed

Afterdawn

ah... i gotcha.. in that case youre method would work perfectly! also, not sure if you caught it or not, but I also included a couple stand alone virus scanners in my previous post as well.

I dont know how you use standalone application, in my case all my software are permanently on my d: partition.

What if you couldn't access your D: , or you are very far from your desktop, but suddenly need something to be run on a friend's PC or wherever.....

Solution: Keeping a CD/USB-drive with stand-alone apps, in your pocket. ;)

For people that have to deal with restrictions at school and still want to play all kinds of media you have to use this mediaplayer:

VLC Videolan Player

It plays all kinds of media; AUDIO, XVID, DIVX, MOV, DVDs, OGM, subtitles etcetera...

It is about 10 MB, but it doesn't need to be installed.. and that's the most important thing :)

Also highly portable, use it on various platforms like Linux / PocketPC.

It's my favourite piece of software :thumbup

I found one ! A anti-virus software that can be perfectly run standalone. It's antivir. the manual update, and on-demand scanner work very well Just unrar the setup package to a directory... Better than nod 32.

I also have found a undelete standalone application (may be portable) is Emergency Undelete from executive.com , the maker of Diskeeper. But is not a freeware :(

This is how I do it.......

Download this file from Major Geeks or from AntiVir and extract to a folder.

avwinsfx.exe

Then copy these to a new folder,

antivir.vdf

AVEWIN32.DLL

AVGETVER.DLL

AVPACK32.DLL

AVPREF.DLL

AVREG.DLL

AVREP.DLL

AVWIN.DLL

AVWIN.EXE

AVWIN.INI

HBEDV.KEY

call it what ever you want. These will run AntiVir with Gui on demand only. Double

click the exe and a couple of more folders will be created, "logfiles" and "failsafe".

Now if you want to add the update files,

inetupd.dll

inetupd.exe

you can, but the first time you run it, the whole program will be installed, maybe not a bad idea.

I made an sfx and it was copied to program files, put the avwin.exe in my file for QL, used it a

few days and then updated to the full program. Only did it this way because I never could get the

program to install totally silent..........

EDIT

download updated vdf file from www.free-av.com

BD

• 1 year later...

Gday fellas may be a little ot, however looking for a small pdf reader that has the ability to autorun off the cd with out installing etc.

I have done this with AR4 but for some reason does not give very good viewing clarity as the later readers do. If i use the later readers etc my index pages freeze or won't work or at least one of them does anyway. Anyone that can throw some light here would be great.