winpe RIS Ghost32

explorer

WinPE for some odd reason takes the primary master drive and somehow puts files on it or uses it for something and so when your dealing with the primary master HD when using WinPE from a CD or DVD it does a lock on the drive cause it is using it. Why it does this I have no idea, for data recovery its not good at all, and from my standpoint it screws me all up cause when I try to use like a partitioning tool or what have you, I get a similar error. When I launch ghost32 and try to do something it it, it can override the lock and give you back control. But its kind of lame to hafta do that just to get it up and going. I would love to find a way auround this. I am currently using paragon for my partitioning needs and when I try to use it I have the same issue, unless I go ahead and do the ghost method of unlocking it first. Hopefully someone with more experience in this will chime in with a wonderful answer to make both our lives simplier.

But this is definently something that has been bothering me as of late.

Even curiouser is that WinPE works fine without an HD, so why if there is one, does it have to interact with it unless I tell it too.

well its the ghost tahts trying to see the lock of the HDD. i dont think its winpe. somebody had suggested that the pagefile size in winbom.ini to be set to zero. i tried that it didnt work. but i noiced that i dont face this error when there is adequate hdd space. this is only a practical xperience of mine. i would appreciate any correct solution.

Im not sure what you mean by that first sentence about ghost but I know that ghost is one of the only ways for me to REMOVE the lock so that I can use paragon for example to wipe the drive and reformat otherwise winpe has it locked. So for me ghost is great but I shouldnt hafta run ghost for just a sec to "UNLOCK" my HD it dosent make sence. espicalley for a product thats suppost to deploy an OS. I mean microsoft hasnt really said this is for recovery even though there heading that way but from that standpoint, its horrible to have anything write to teh drive if its crashed er what not, and your trying to recover data.

I hope someone here has a solution to this, cause I would love to know as well, I havent played with teh new WinPE enough, I mainly have used the WinXP SP2 one so maybe this has allready be rectified, I wont know till I try.