Creating Windows XP Installation Disc

zer-o.com

Hi all. After many agonizing hours, I have finally gotten the Windows installer files out of the 6 "system recovery" cds that came with my Compaq.

It's 3.3 gigs! Ha. Definitely'll need a DVD for that.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is: how do I remove the files that initate the Windows Installer to create a partition of the HD for 'system recovery'. This is very annoying and unnecessary.

I'd also like to know how to remove all the Compaq pre-installed applications.

Everything else, I'll keep because it has all the drivers I need and everything.

Anyone able to help me out? Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

If you need more information, such as what directories are in the WinLite folder etc, just let me know.

Zero

The recovery CD probably doesn't use a Windows unattended installation method. It probably uses a 3rd party utility.

You could always call the customer service department and request an OEM CD. Microsoft licensing requires them to provide you with it.

Yeah it does, all the configuration options work fine in nLite. I haven't tested the installation disc per se but I did use nLite to create another XP cd and it looks/acts the same. The only difference is that it has directories such as:

docs

hp

PRELOAD

support

TOOLS

valueadd

in the Remove Components section. I just want to know what each directory is, specifically, so I can make a decision as whether to remove them or not.

I'll go ahead and ask for an OEM CD though, I didn't know I could do that. I asked them for a "Windows XP CD" and they sent me these recovery discs. I wanted an OEM CD in the first place. Is that what I should say? "I want an OEM CD you (insert creative phrase here)" ? :)

Zero

Just got this in my email:

(Real name deleted :P) Zero,

Thank you for writing back to us.

It is not mandatory that the manufacturers are required to provide a

retail copy of Windows. Our agreement with Microsoft allows us to

pre-install Windows XP in your system. You can reinstall Windows XP at

any time using the Recovery CDs that came with your computer.

If you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will

be happy to help you.

Regards,

Merisa

HP Total Care

So you were wrong un4given1 :(. Anybody know the answer to my question??

Zero

It is true that companies do not have to give you an exact copy of windows and they can distribute it in any given form they see fit, installations like these can be created in applications like sysprep which is given away with bulk packs of XP installation CD's.

Many companies use these, especially the likes of HP, Compaq and Dell.

If i ever receive a disk like this with any machine then the first thing i do with the install is format it and create a new one using an original Microsoft version...

If you have a friend/colleague with an original type installation CD then see if you can make a copy (before anyone says anything about piracy, you pay for the license and not the installation CD) and install from that using the key generally stuck onto your box.

As the installation files of your OS have been effectively reprogrammed as the manufacturer see's fit then it could be excessively difficult for you to remove all of the gubbins that they want you to have.

You can try deleting:

docs

hp

PRELOAD

support

TOOLS

valueadd.

That's all of them.. I said I wanted to keep my drivers. Would you happen to know which directory the drivers are in?

And what's svcpck.ini for? Why should I delete it? It would help if you explained your reasoning behind your suggestions rather than just throwing them out so that others can benefit more from your advice. Thanks for the reply, look forward to hearing back.

Zero

All that you need in your cd is the directory i386

and all the files in the base directory. You can add the drivers to your cd using nlite. The svcpck, is usually the stuff to install updates. But if you want an xp with sp2 you should remove svcpck before slipstreaming sp2 into the cd. Check out nlite.