Something better than RegCleaner/RegSupreme?

Kashim

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. I'm looking for a registry utility similar to RegCleaner or its successor RegSupreme. I don't need something to clean or repair my registry though. The feature I'm interested in is the ability to see my installed programs and all the registry keys related to them. I don't mean the keys used for uninstalling the programs. I'm talking about the reg keys that store settings and such.

RegCleaner allows you to remove all registry keys (including hidden ones) related to a certain program on your system (for example the serial#, options, window size and positions, etc.) Why would I want this? Well, most of my programs are not stored on the C: drive, so after a windows re-install, I usually just restore all the registry keys related to my programs, instead of installing each one again and put the serial# back in, etc.

Both RegCleaner and RegSupreme allow me to do exactly what I just described. So you're probably wondering why not just use one of those then? One reason is that RegCleaner is too old. Ever since I installed Windows XP SP2 I've been having a hard time with RegCleaner, I have to start it 5+ times to get it going. Most of the time it won't start up. Actually, it does but I can't see it, but it still shows up on the Task Manager! Not to mention RegCleaner has one of the ugliest interfaces ever.

After those problems I decided to try RegSupreme Pro, and I'm not sure what's so "Pro" about it, considering it does pretty much exactly the same thing as RegCleaner, except it lacks a search function and it costs money now! Oh and not to mention the god-awful interface got even uglier and less user-friendly (if that's even possible).

I've already tried many different registry utilities and none of them seem to offer the feature I want. I tried everything from Registry Mechanic, RegClean, CClean, Reg Healer, RegSeeker, Registry First Aid, plus a bunch of others I can't remember. So if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Registry Cleaners are that they can be too aggressive. RegCleaner/RegSupreme are the best of the bunch. Others can remove good registry entries. CCleaner is the safest one I've used but obviously not the most thorough. The problem with even RegSupreme is it removes things like ZoneAlarm's Mail Safe extensions as an example. In the end I only tell people to use CCleaner and not risk breaking another program.

Do not under any circumstances use Microsoft's Regclean anymore, this program is massively outdate and will permanently disable applications like Office causing you to have to reinstall it.