HD problem

I've got a Western Digital 100GB 7200RPM drive. Recently, the drive has slowed down considerably.

For example: when unraring a 700mb game, it'll now take about 7 or 8 minutes to unrar. Normally it would take about a minute. Copying from that drive to my main 20 gig drive is also painfully slow. I've defragged multiple times with no improvement.

What could be causing this slowdown? Is it dying? :)

It's hardly fragged at all now since I've defragged it a few times.

The fragmented files were large ISOs.

It's my secondary drive just for downloads. Windows is running on my 20 gig.

Not partitioned.

Dunno about the chipset drivers.

ok as stated on the website:

A 7200 rpm drive has a rotational latency of 4.15 ms on average.  A 4500 rpm drive has a rotational latency of 6.67 ms on average.  So a 7200 rpm drive with a seek of 12.5ms has an access time that is just as fast as a 4500 rpm drive with a seek of 10.0 ms

also your CPU Ultilization should be low. See my screenshot for comparesent as I aslo have a WD

harddrivetest.jpg

dude your max read, average and CPU is way wacked...something is really wrong and I would have to say its the drive. Your CPU shouldnt be over 20% and compared to my reading your EXTREMELY to low. Get the drive to WD for a warrenty check.

http://websupport.wdc.com/diag/dlg_login.asp

go there and register then run the online Diagnostics test...you should get something like this:

Drive Information:
Manufacturer: Western Digital Corporation
Serial Number: WMA6S1259973
Model Number: WD800BB-00BSA0
Firmware Rev: 12.08C12

Test Results:
TEST PASSED!
Congratulations! The Data Lifeguard Diagnositc utility has determined that your hard drive is functioning properly. If you still encounter problems on your hard drive that you feel were not identified in the Data Lifeguard utility, please contact us for technical support.

after the test is done. Post what your results are

From your screenshot, it looks like your WD drive is using the CPU resources (97%!!!) to transfer files. This means your HD is not in UDMA mode, and instead, it's using PIO.

Check your device manager, into the properties of your primary IDE channel (or secondary, wherever you installed it to) and see what mode its running in.

You also need to make sure its jumpered correctly, and the cable (black end is master, and grey end is slave). Another tip is never put a 7200rpm alongside a slower hard drive on the same cable otherwise it operates at the slower hard drive's speed.