Unique DVD Copy Problems

Denney

I'm having a rather annoying time creating backup DVD's.

I own a MSI DR8-A DVD burner. Until a few months ago, everything was fine.

Now, when I create backups of my DVD's, I use DVD Decrypter to decrypt the DVD and then use CloneDVD2 to encode and burn the DVD.

Lately, any DVD's I burn work until around the 3rd chapter and then start to get choppy.

On my Dick Smith DVD player, after about chapter 5, the DVD will just freeze. On the DVD player we have downstairs, it will still play but eventually become unwatchable due to the skipping.

Most other DVD players I try them on, it won't even work.

Yet if I try it on my 7 year old DVD drive in my computer, it runs flawlessly. I'm dumbfounded as to why this is.

Some people have told me it's DVD Decypter. Others have said it's CloneDVD2 and a few have even said it's the TDK DVD+R's I use.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? What would most likely be the cause? I'm thinking it might be the DVD+R's I'm using. I'm going to try DVD-R's but I'd like to get some other feedback.

Does anyone have any other programs I should use?

Edit: Version numbers I use:

DVD Decrypter: v3.5.2.0

CloneDVD2: v2.4.2.7

4x generally. The 8x ones generally work for longer than the 4x ones.

Ones I burn at 2.4x work around the same time as the 4x ones.

Generally 2.4x and 4x work fine until about chapter 3. 8x ones work fine until about chapter 5.

4x generally. The 8x ones generally work for longer than the 4x ones.

Ones I burn at 2.4x work around the same time as the 4x ones.

Generally 2.4x and 4x work fine until about chapter 3. 8x ones work fine until about chapter 5.

well i burn on the lowest speed

did you try other media then TDK?

my guess is that your dvd burner is giving up on you

and is slowly dieing :}

Yeah, I've tried different media.

The DVD burner is only about 7 months old so it shouldn't be dying.

I'm gonna try cleaning it and trying DVD-R media and see if that helps.

Might try out DVD Shrink again to.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with lvlolvlo on this one B)

i rip to harddrive first then open from there.

test your transcode before you burn it and use a high quality media.

As the dvd reader is 7 yrs old this would mena it has a nice high quality glass lens (not a cheap plastic one like all the new ones :() this might give it the extra quality needed to read the poor quality disk . try verifying the disk to see if it is readable.

hope this helps

Regards

cyph

Another suggestion is that if you are using labels on the discs it may be de-stabalizing the disc. This will cause the issue you describe. Try making a disc and not applying a label and see if that fixes the issue. I know it did for me as I had a similar issue.

Hello, I use Nero Ultra 6.6 and DVD Decrypter v3.5.2.0. Have never had a problem. I have a Sony DRU-700A Burner, and have used TDK, Memorex, Sony, and Fuji. TDK, Fuji and Sony DVD's work the best. (DVD's - Made in 'Japan' or in the 'USA', Don't use the ones made in Taiwan = Crap). I then burn my DVD's at 4x - 8X using DVD+R media.

Try using DVD-R, If not already... but I think your burner is dying. Did you use Overburn a lot? Or at all, since this can spoil the laser head of the drive after prolonged usage.

If in the market I recommend Lite-On, Sony, and then

Plextor; In that order if looking for a DVD/CD Burner.

• 2 months later...

I would like to share with you my experience re DVD's. I also own a DR8-A and have had it for a year now. I have a rather old Pioneer DV-444 player with my TV and a DVD ROM on my PC. I have had problems with reading on both drives from the back-ups I make (Both drives are approx 6 yrs old.). I finally found that some media work well on both drives, eg. RITEK G04, TDK 4X -R and prodisc. But when the 8X -R's started arriving I started with the problem you are having. I noted that the drive starts burning at 4X up to around 29%, then stops spins up and continues, I am assuming at 8X. The disc is perfectly readable up to 29% but then stops on DV-444. On the -ROM and must players they work fine. This is when using CloneDVD2. It also seems that CloneDVD ignores your selected speed and just starts burning at which speed it decides!! It does work well with eProformance 8X (Prodisc) and SmartBuy 8X though, and is perfectly readable on any player. Now I found that Nero does keep the selected speed throughout and the result is perfect on the same discs, so probably it something with the Software, and the DVD-writer burning at 8X that is wrong. Remember I bought it as a 4X -R and 8X+R and only by firmware it is now 8X -R, so I assume that keeping it at the original MAX 4X -R is best, especially for older players.

I hope that this will be of any help!!