Wireless connection distance

A random question but,

If you have wireless, how for could you been from the wireless router to get connection. Like if one of your neighbors is using your Wireless connection. whats the max distance you can use someones wireless connection?

It depends very much on the hardware that you're using and the surrounding area.

For example, with my Linksys 802.11b router, I can get full signal anywhere within my house, but when I go outside, I can barely get any signal in the lane behind my house (about 30 ft).

While on the other hand, at my school, there is a building that barely has any signal on the top floor since the whole building is concrete and the routers are on the floor below.

I know that for Linksys routers you can get big antennae that are supposed to increase the range of your wireless signal by about 70%.

If you're worried about your neighbours leeching off your internet or connecting to your network, have a look at WPA encryption and MAC address filtering.

Cheers!

It all depends on what the building is made out of... If its made out of concrete, then the wireless signal will decrease a lot more then if there was another material...

Here's the funny thing... My wireless signal is only available on one side of my house, but I get my neighbour's wireless signal in my room... :P

802.11b will reach more than 100 metres (300 feet) however it cannot be achieved with 2.4GHz over congested obstructed paths. So due to signal degradation the reliable distance through air is only 50%; 50 metres (150 feet).

Also, if using a 2.4GHz WiFi router keep in mind it's best to use a 900MHz portable phone. The frequencies between a 2.4MHz WiFi and 2.4MHz portable phone will collide with each other, since they operate on the same radio frequencies.

matrix - i've seen or actually read about people have a STABLE link between two linksys wireless routers at a 18mile distance. of course they were using the after market firmware and powerful antennas.

and faily illegal if you go over the US FCC rating of 32DBi, which by default most WiFi's are set to 18-24DBi (i think).

and faily illegal if you go over the US FCC rating of 32DBi, which by default most WiFi's are set to 18-24DBi (i think).

there's two regulations in the US for 802.11 on the "civilian" end

*point to multi-point - which allows a max of 30dbm (1watt) or -1db for every db gain over 6dbi

*point to point - fcc is generous in which it goes with -1/3db

no i'm not totally up to date as those were the regultions for 802.11b so i'm pretty sure it'll be the same if not less for g. the regulations for a were basically the signal can't leave your building. lol

in any case the case i read was not here in the US it was somewhere in Europe more specifcally the HIV free nation (Sweeden) if you let the HIV part you're cool!