tweaks discussion

• 1 month later...

[version]
signature="$Windows NT$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=PageFile.AddReg

[PageFile.AddReg]
HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management",PagingFiles,0x10000,"C:\pagefile.sys 002 002",""G:\pagefile.sys 1536 1536"

Will this code change pagefile on c to 2mb and pagefile on G to 1536?

• 1 month later...
NB : If you want the os to decide of the size type "(drive letter):\pagefile.sys 0 0"

Is there a way to set this option (os decide) via pagefileconfig.vbs script? When i use cscript %systemroot%\system32\pagefileconfig.vbs /change /I 0 /M 0 /VO C:, it complains about the minimum that it has to be in the 2MB-4096MB range.

• 4 weeks later...

Rambler, yes there is a way. Your pagefile has to be a minimum of 2 MB on your systemdrive, for the reason that a memory dump on crashing would need that much atleast. Now, it seems that if you disabled that from "startup and recovery" (found in system properties), then the 2 MB is not needed. But supposedly, doing this is dangerous.

Why not just assign 2 MB on the systemdrive and howevermuch you want on any other partition? Also, limiting pagefile to very low levels on systemdrive can lead to performance slow-downs. The best thing to do is to just keep your page-file on the * drive (unless you have multiple HDs, in which case locating swap elsewhere would give a significant difference in performance).

You didn't get me entirely, i didn't want to disable page file completely, i just wanted to pick the System managed size option, to which corresponds this setting.

Anyways, i've already circumvented it with doing this via registry - ie. setting the "c:\pagefile.sys 0 0" value which does the trick. It's weird that this is possible to be done via registry, yet the MS tools won't let you.

I use that tweak to CHANGE from system-managed to custom in unattended mode. So if system-managed is what one wants, changing is not needed at all as that is the default anyway!

The VBS is provided by Microsoft for CHANGING from default to CUSTOM. It takes only integers, therefore specifying 0 (zero) makes it assume you want to remove the pagefile totally.

so, theoretically, you could also move any files you've used/saved with a program, in a sense creating a clean install with files already in place...?

In some cases, you see programs which use non-standard or un-automatable installers.

In such cases, just install it first, and clean out the junk (like uninstaller) from the installed folder. Then configure the app's settings to how you want.

Then, just make a winrar SFX archive of that folder (which silently extracts to %programfiles%) and enjoy.

For example, I do the above, by enabling the "SFX" check-box, and pasting the below into the "Comments" tab in winrar

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=.\%programfiles%
SavePath
Silent=1
Overwrite=2

Right, you can. :yes:

That method is mostly good for apps that don't make much use of the windows registry (which translates into most small apps).

Much more detailed information for that:

see installer type #4 (green text)

Also, the above quote which you took has been updated - look in this thread:

LINK

Edited by prathapml

I use that tweak to CHANGE from system-managed to custom in unattended mode.  So if system-managed is what one wants, changing is not needed at all as that is the default anyway!

The VBS is provided by Microsoft for CHANGING from default to CUSTOM.  It takes only integers, therefore specifying 0 (zero) makes it assume you want to remove the pagefile totally.

That may be correct for YOUR version of WindowsXP, for the one we're using (WinXP OEM Czech), this doesn't hold true as the Custom setting is the default one.