Another RunOnceEx problem

Hah, my problems with ROE continue :(

My RunOnceEx is processed under special domain account. After ROE computer is restarted and automated run is disabled.

My problem is this:

SOMETIMES, after first user logon the RunOnceEx is executed again! Of course the files are unaccessible to this user, so script fails.

Why is it running two times? Today I was monitoring ROE processing - every component (e.g. 005,010,015 etc.) is deleted from registry right after it is performed :(

Thx for reply...

It is at T-12...

Then autologon performed ROE.

After ROE there is restart - then I installed SW using service (about 30 pcs, depends on computer membership). No user is logged on during this.

After this part of installation sometimes the ROE run again :(

Hmm...

The key thing to find out for you now, would be the "some times". Once you find out under exactly what conditions the ROE occurs once again, you can fix it. (That's the key to fixing bugs - finding out more details, pinning down the cause, and working out a solution.)

Please collect more data on the "sometimes" and post it here.

Im just guessing but i think it has to do with your RunOnceEx.cmd. You probably used something like

SET KEY=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

When your supposed to use

SET KEY=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

But I haven't tested that...

Im just guessing but i think it has to do with your RunOnceEx.cmd.  You probably used something like

SET KEY=HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

When your supposed to use

SET KEY=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

But I haven't tested that...

I don't believe it's wise for a person with only 4 posts to say that to a person with 171 posts (although posts don't say everything ofcourse) :P There is no such key in HKCU, so it probably won't run either.

Well shoot me for trying to help.

@Tsunami There isn't a HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx, your right... But there also isn't a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx either because you have to create it. Which is what your RunOnceEx.cmd does. If it exists then your PC will run it when windows is started. it will then delete the key when its done running all commands inside of it. Also, I believe this could be the problem because any HKCU settings that are created in the T-12 stage of setup will be copied to any user that is created afterwards, meaning that when a new user is created they will have to run the RunOnceEx commands also.

But, of course i only have what? 6 posts now? so thats why i said it was just a guess.

2pballdan11: Thx for help, but this isnt my problem - I am in domain and I am running my installations using service... There is of course not any HKCU key :(

2Tsunami: U R right, U cant use ROE under HKCU as far as I remember... And dont be bad on newbies :D

2Prathapml: the problem is I am not the person who performs installations :( I am just creating deployment solutions and provide them to technicians... It looks like the values (or components) R not removed - but I dont understand why??? I thought there is some problem with immediately restart after ROE, but the problem is somewhere else -

1.) every ROE component is deleted right after it is performed

2.) user have rights - it is special account for deployment with elevated privileges :(

I saw this problem on two different user accounts.

There is one more thing - this problem occurs only if installation is run from PXE, but not from CD.