Visual Studio 6 with SP6 slipstreamed? Possible?

I've tried to treat it like an MS Office installation but the installer is elder. When you unpack sp6 to a directory there is a lot files that might be ready to integrate with vs6 instalation. But i do not know how to make installer to unpack .cab files to new dir, not to where the vs6 is installed. :):}

:no: it is not msi installer, it's elder version. Now i'm at university but in the evening i'll try to find out what is the installer version and maybe you'll help me find way to unpack it where i want to.

Here is some information about the installer file. It's a file version and some other. So it's not the msi package. Too bad. And i've found some comments in the file properties - "Windows Setup Toolkit (Throttle)" :( Is there a chance to integrate it?

post-66-1105713928_thumb.gif

I've been thinking about that but i didn't know what is going to happen with scripts and how to change it. Now i'm copying install-cd to hard disk and i'm going to extract updated files to setup dir. When i finish i'll try to install it.

While i was looking for some information about service pack 6 i've found that in pack there are some files missing. There's a file toc.htm (table of cont.) with links to file contents.htm which is missing. I've tried to find it but i didn't. And... i got a littleangry when i found information that sp6 does NOT contain whole of the patches to VisualStudio6 applications. The correct process of patching looks like this => visual studio + sp5 (and then) + sp6. Now i really do not know what i have to do...

I'm giving up for a few days. in the lack of ideas, and with hard drive nearly exploited i must stop until i bought new one. but if you have some concepts please insert it here. if you are also interested in knowin how to make the installer please answer this post.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm giving up for a few days. in the lack of ideas, and with hard drive nearly exploited i must stop until i bought new one. but if you have some concepts please insert it here. if you are also interested in knowin how to make the installer please answer this post.

I´ve managed, (after too many hours), to make an MSI-package of VS6 EE, with SP5 and SP6 integrated. Since SP5/6 are not cumulative I strongly recommend to add both.

I never did find any MSI-packages or guides of how to make an MS out of this installation, so I made my own.

The total size of the package came down to 122MB, so if your goal was to have onto a cd, that´s no problem either.

I can see why MS didn´t bother to make an MSI outta this, as with Office and other products, ´cause it was hell to fix.

I used Wise for Windows Installer (there are newer versions, but this is nicer to work with).

1: Start Wise for Windows Installer

2: Make a Start Capture (1:st snapshot)

3: Install VS6

4: Reboot

5: Install SP5 and SP6

6: Reboot

7: Run the utility "SSINT.EXE" found in ...\COMMON\VSS\Win32 at the default settings. This is to edit VB.INI and VBADDIN.INI to make Visual Source Safe integrate with Visual Basic 6 as an add-in module.

8: Make End Capture. (2:nd snapshot)

(If you get a question to use MERGE MODULES, don´t use it, but install the files instead.)

9: Remove all selfregister DLL/OCX except VBSCC.DLL or you may get an "'Source Code Control' could not be loaded" error at startup of Visual Basic 6.

10: Run the utility "SSINT.EXE" found in ...\COMMON\VSS\Win32 at the default settings. This is to edit VB.INI and VBADDIN.INI to make Visual Source Safe integrate with Visual Basic 6 as an add-in module.

11: Under Files-section (Wise) remove all tempfiles or else you wont be able to compile the package. (there´s to many files to be listed here...)

12: Do the same under the Registry-section.

13: Compile and test-install.

If you encounter any problems, you can mess me @ICQ-UIN: 348-964-687

Good luck, and hopes this helps someone.